Overclocking my i5-2500k - ASRock Extreme 7 Gen 3 Questions

draynoe

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hey everyone,

I had a few questions about overclocking my i5-2500k. I have an ASRock Extreme 7 Gen 3 that I'm doing this with. I did a bit of research and found some overclocking numbers that seemed to be a good target for me to start with so I went with it.

I haven't done any extreme testing yet but so far everything is running great over the last hour or two.

Anyway, I have these questions if you guys wouldn't mind answering them:

- Do the settings I have in the image seem okay? All the voltages and everything? (Image is Below)

- If so and I wanted to try for 4.6 or 4.7 or maybe even 4.8 Ghz what voltages etc. should I increase and in what increments?

- Is it okay that after load the CPU Speed drops back down to 1.Something Ghz ... Should I disable something to make it always run at 4.5Ghz or is that not necessary?

Just fyi I did all the settings in the UEFI utility not in the ASRock utility if that matters.

Edit: One other thing I meant to mention - It seems that the computer takes about 15 seconds before the monitor shows the ASRock boot screen after turning it on ... Is that normal? This isn't really new, it did that before the OC but it seems to be a little longer now.

Thanks everyone!

Here's the setting:

CurrentSetupOC.png

Winly

Distinguished
Hi! I have the same motherboard and I wonder why is that. When you turn on the computer it takes like 10 - 15 secs to show an image on the monitor. After that everything is fine. I was looking a it closer and the motherboard on the Dr. Debug shows a series of numbers before the monitor turns on. Maybe is like a delay POST, I will like to know. I will contact ASRock about this and maybe they can help us clarify that issue! Why it takes that long.

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hi Draynoe,

- 4.5Ghz @ 1.312v is good, better than other chips (mine)

- If your chip can go over 4.5Ghz, then 4.6 & 4.7Ghz should be achievable with good low temps and voltages, once you hit 4.8Ghz and so on, the voltages will sky rocket, then everything depends on whether or not you feel like 1.4+ volts going through your chip is ok (Shorter Life Span), or if the cooler is sufficient.

-CPU Frequency dropping is a good thing for when you're not doing anything, but if the voltage still stays, then it's pretty pointless. (CPU TEMP will still be cooler since frequency is low, but the constant voltage will degrade the chip)

Having said that, people use "Intel Speed Step" (Lowers Frequency @ Idle) along with using "Offset Mode" instead of "Manual/Fixed" Voltage Mode. Offset will lower your voltages to 0.9-1.1v when idle. as for speed step, it will usually go down to 1.6Ghz.

- Always overclock in bios, software is made to save time for minor tweaks.

As for your startup, i also have an ASRock motherboard, quickest boot time i've ever had with any motherboard, you might want to email ASRock asking for a solution.

draynoe

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks for the reply Trihedral, I'm probably going to stay with 4.5 Ghz for now.

I use offset mode so my voltages do drop down on idle :D Also speedstep drops it down to 1.6 Ghz or so like you mentioned.

I do wonder about the long delay before seeing the ASRock screen, I will email them also. Winly, if you find a solution please let me know!

Thanks!

Winly

Distinguished
Hello folks.
after contacting ASRock via E-mail i was sent this E-mail today

Hi,

Boot time takes about 10 sec seems a bit long than usual.

Please try the steps below:

o Things to connect on mainboard is CPU, CPU cooler, video card, 1 HD (with O/S), and 1 memory module only system header (PW

switch, reset switch)

o once you have barebones system setup go to the bios, and load the default setting by press F9 and save exit out the bios.

o Try to duplicate the problem you had before.

o Keep us update see if the type of set up resolve your restart issue. If problem resolve please insert the hardware back one

by one.

For memory:

o Remove all the memory sticks modules out.

o Insert 1 memory module only with proper dram voltage that require with ram, (DRAM voltage)

o Adjust the DRAM freq as well, save and exit out the bios.

to be honest this didnt impress me and i dont think i have problems with my components, but i will give it a try, even though i dont like the idea of taking my new build apart. if you guys do it, let me know. anyway i sent a few emails about this and hopefully in a day or two i will get a different answer. hope that helps

draynoe

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Same answer I got - although I had to update to the latest Bios... I didn't really break the system down as I really don't think it's bad memory or anything ...

Dunno :\