Overclocking my i5 8600k (z370 asrock extreme4)

Feb 16, 2018
I have my i5 8600k overclocked to 4.7 rn and i wanna put it at 4.8, i have not touched voltages yet, my question is, is this normal? can i try and put it to 5 ghz without even touching voltages, slightly afraid of doing something wrong?
Also i get around 65/70c temperature, is that normal or should i upgrade to liquid cooling?

Solution
How long did you stress test and what stress test? Realbench for 1 hour is a good test. Just make sure you do the stress test and not the benchmark. Increasing by 10 millivolts each time you test is OK. It's actually a good amount. Just remember not to go over 1.4v or whatever your cooler can handle. These CPU's usually can handle 5GHz with ease. You lost the silicon lottery if yours can't. After you finish stress testing at 4.8GHz try 4.9GHz. Then 5GHz and so on. If you can get more than 5GHz at a good voltage then you're a silicon lottery winner.

Realbench might seem frozen sometimes but if it comes back that's ok.
Try it and see. It won't hurt anything. The worst that would happen is a crash which would be resolved by just going back to your last known good settings. Those temps are fine. I would only worry about liquid cooling if you're trying for 5GHz and getting high temps. High temps are 85c+. At least that's what I consider high. Other people might say 80c is too high. I consider 80c just on the edge of being high. 65/70c is pretty universally considered to be a normal temp.

Feb 16, 2018
Ok thx for the aswner, i put it at 4.8 and my pc froze after i stress tested it, how much should i increase my voltage? i only have a Thermaltake NIC F3 btw. ive increased voltage by +10 and now its running stable while im stress testing, think i found my sweet spot? 73 max temperature.

How long did you stress test and what stress test? Realbench for 1 hour is a good test. Just make sure you do the stress test and not the benchmark. Increasing by 10 millivolts each time you test is OK. It's actually a good amount. Just remember not to go over 1.4v or whatever your cooler can handle. These CPU's usually can handle 5GHz with ease. You lost the silicon lottery if yours can't. After you finish stress testing at 4.8GHz try 4.9GHz. Then 5GHz and so on. If you can get more than 5GHz at a good voltage then you're a silicon lottery winner.

Realbench might seem frozen sometimes but if it comes back that's ok.

Solution