Aug 7, 2018
My system
i7 8700k
ASUS Maximus HERO X
RTX 2080 ti FE
Be quiet dark rock pro 4 air cooler
Corsair 1000w RMi
16gb Patriot Viper 3200

I've started to experiment with overclocking. I read a lot about how people say that the 8700k gets really hot really quick. I've managed to use ASUS bios to overclock the CPU to 5000 MHz and run games at 4k with max settings at a constant 60FPS and still haven't seen temps above 70c. Am i doing something right or did i just luck out and get a really good CPU?

Solution

Is that temperature of 70C observed during gaming? Or is it temperature during stress test? If it is during gaming, then your chip might be running a little too hot.

The 8700k is actually a relatively cool chip comparing to the 9700k and...

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018

Is that temperature of 70C observed during gaming? Or is it temperature during stress test? If it is during gaming, then your chip might be running a little too hot.

The 8700k is actually a relatively cool chip comparing to the 9700k and 9900k.
In general, what people were referring to was the average core temperature shown during stress test.

One popular test is Prime95 version 26.6 small FFT test. If you run this stress test and monitor your temp through software such as HWmonitor or CoreTemp, you will see your cpu load at 100% and temperature getting a lot higher than you will see during gaming session.

This is because gaming won't put your 8700k at 100% TDP load consistenly all the times like the stress test does. So yes, in real world application you wouldn't experience such high temps. But it's always good to know the maximum temp your chip will reach under extreme circumstance to make sure no throttling will ever happen.

.................... But if 70C is what you saw during Prime95 small FFT test @5.0 Ghz, that is excellent!

Solution