[SOLVED] Overclocking my monitor from 60hz to 75hz, danger for my GPU?

raxor2k

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Hi there. Im new to this forum, so if I have posted this thread at wrong place kindly move it.

Over to the case: I have an Samsung monitor of the type: s24c450. I remember a long time ago when I had a gaming desktop PC, the only way I could get 75hz was if i connected to the monitor through VGA cable. Using the HDMI-DVI cable only gave me maximum 60hz.

Now that the desktop PC i sold(long time ago), I am now using a Dell laptop: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g3-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-3579-laptop
with Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 TI installed.

So here is my issue: My laptop only had HDMI, no VGA, no DVI. So to connect to the Samsung monitor, I need to use HDMI-DVI cable, but then i only get 60hz, and for CS:GO it is a huge problem for me.

So here are my choices:

1. Buy a new monitor?
  2. Overclock the monitor using the CRU program only. I cannot use Nvidia geforce controlpanel as the latest nvidia software dont let you do this? I can not see the Display category inside there..

As I got this monitor for free, and easily can get a new monitor, I think i will go for option 2, meaning i will overclock my monitor.

I know that there is a risk of the monitor getting damaged, but what about my GPU(Nvidia 1050 Ti)? Can the GPU get harmed or damaged of overclocking the monitor?

Thanks for answer.

Reactions: asillysausage
Solution
There no risk to the GPU that I know of. They can handle 100s of frames so moving from 60 to 75 is nothing. It's possible the GPU is even outputting 200FPS and your monitor is displaying only 60 of them. (This leads to screen tearing.) I wouldn't worry about your GPU.

The monitor on the other hand will have stress. Because it's the thing being overclocked. How long it will last like with all OC's is impossible to say. I would argue that for 15FPS it's not worth it. More so if you don't have the $$$ to replace it when it goes.

4745454b

Titan
There no risk to the GPU that I know of. They can handle 100s of frames so moving from 60 to 75 is nothing. It's possible the GPU is even outputting 200FPS and your monitor is displaying only 60 of them. (This leads to screen tearing.) I wouldn't worry about your GPU.

The monitor on the other hand will have stress. Because it's the thing being overclocked. How long it will last like with all OC's is impossible to say. I would argue that for 15FPS it's not worth it. More so if you don't have the $$$ to replace it when it goes.

Solution

raxor2k

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
First of all, I successfully overclocked my monitor through Nvidia control panel to show 75hz, and so far it is good!

On the other hand, I am a little bit stupid, because it may not be necessary for me to overclock it to 75zh at all.
I want using "mirror screens" which showed my screen both at the laptop and the screen.

I deactivated screen on the laptop screen, and only show monitor2(the samsung monitor), and I managed to go from 250fps to 350-400fps in game! and also the game goes much smoother now!