Overclocking my monitor(s) using CRU

Ademptis

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
I want to overclock my monitor(s) from 60hz to the highest possible refresh rate without damaging them; at what point should I stop increasing the refresh rate and what damages could occur?

Monitors: Asus VE247 * 2 (DVI and HDMI)
Video Card: Asus HD7950

I downloaded the CRU from here and the Driver Patcher from here

Solution
Lots of people do this kind of thing, I am not sure if any damage happens.

Most screens will give an out of range error when you go too far(at this point you have to go back.)

I have not used your program, but do hope it has the ability to test these new refresh rates so you can go back with the escape key.

Since this "overclocking" of monitors is rather new I do not know if anyone has enough details on long term use this way.

Please also note that some screens when you run other refresh rates may actually simply drop frames to keep the screen still running at the normal refresh rate.

This overclocking increases the data clock to the video card and not all cards/monitors will even take the slightest adjustment(again, it is good to...

Ademptis

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Could I not even increase it by 10hz? I watched TekSyndicate's video on it and it seems to work well.

Lots of people do this kind of thing, I am not sure if any damage happens.

Most screens will give an out of range error when you go too far(at this point you have to go back.)

I have not used your program, but do hope it has the ability to test these new refresh rates so you can go back with the escape key.

Since this "overclocking" of monitors is rather new I do not know if anyone has enough details on long term use this way.

Please also note that some screens when you run other refresh rates may actually simply drop frames to keep the screen still running at the normal refresh rate.

This overclocking increases the data clock to the video card and not all cards/monitors will even take the slightest adjustment(again, it is good to have a program that can test and revert after so many seconds to avoid getting stuck at some non functional refresh rate.).

Solution

Ademptis

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Thanks for your reply.
You mentioned about the program detecting the ranges, have you used a different program in the past? If so, could you reply with a link to it please?

I just used the Nvidia drivers.

My old screen did not take ANY changes. My current screen supports 144hz, but the HDMI ports do not support over 60. It will go upto 85hz(clock 210mhz) when a custom resolution is added(nvidia control panel). This does show an improvement, but in my case using dual link DVI or Displayport is a better option(and will expose the full 144hz).

I did not it strange to release a 144hz screen with HDMI ports that will not do 144(I know 2560 x 1440 by the same company will do that resolution over HDMI).

There is a reason that Windows has an 'Automatic-Revert' when adjusting resolution and refresh.

If you seriously dink your screen output in Windows, how are you going to fix it without being able to view your monitor?

I would not be 100% certain that 'LKGC' at boot would repair --- and would not really want to take the chance ...

Ademptis

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Oh ok, thanks.

Ademptis

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
UPDATE
I did it and my monitor just said "Out of Range", I couldn't view Control Panel because it opened on that monitor.
Fix: Boot in safe mode and removed the driver