Overclocking my motherboard

Spartanman72

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Just a quick question. I think my motherboard supports overclocking, but I'm not positive. Can someone tell me if it does, and if so how I would do it? I have the[strike] Amd Phenom II X4 840[/strike] Asus M4N68T-M V2.

Solution
Yes, it supports OC'ing. The problem is that it is not best suited to do so. The VRMs (power transistors) have no heat sinks to dissipate excess heat caused by OC'ing. The board's phase power is limited, and the components used are not designed for serious OC'ing. That said, you can do a little experimenting if you like. Asus makes good boards. But the Phenom II X4 840 has a locked multiplier, which means you will have to get all your freq. increase via the base clock. That has a drawback of being limited to only a few hundred MHz, along with having everything else that runs off the base clock increase as well.

Spartanman72

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

Doh! I guess I managed to copy over the wrong information from my specs... I have the Asus M4N68T-M V2.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it supports OC'ing. The problem is that it is not best suited to do so. The VRMs (power transistors) have no heat sinks to dissipate excess heat caused by OC'ing. The board's phase power is limited, and the components used are not designed for serious OC'ing. That said, you can do a little experimenting if you like. Asus makes good boards. But the Phenom II X4 840 has a locked multiplier, which means you will have to get all your freq. increase via the base clock. That has a drawback of being limited to only a few hundred MHz, along with having everything else that runs off the base clock increase as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS