tim_bethany

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hey, basically I just built my first rig atm it has my old GPU and some ok ram but I would like to overclock the CPU and other parts.
This is the spec:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P
CPU: Quad Core AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3200 MHz
Ram: 4 x Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series

Running windows 7

Basically what should I do and how should I do it

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Hey tim. I would google something like "overclock amd phenom" and read some of the guides. Once you have a good idea of what your doing then come back here with questions. Nobody is going to post here giving you a step by step guide. ;)

Hope that helps.

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
the programs you need for overclocking are:

1. everest - this will show you important data information about your whole system like:

baseline for cpu speed, volts, temps
complete spd for your ram which you need to set the correct timings in the bios
(go to the ram manufacturer site and look for your ram specs, take note of the max voltage your ram can handle, do not go above it it will fry)

2. cpu-z this will also show you information about your system including mb chipset, northbridge speed etc, ram spd, video card specs

3. prime 95 - this is what you need to test the stability of your system

*** important notes about overclocking

1. don't be blinded by speed alone, some peeps see an article on the net about maxing out the overclock for their current type of cpu and end up frying the cpu. not all cpus are made the same, it's just being lucky. some cpus can be overclocked to the max while others are very sensitive to voltage

2. i was overclocking mine using 2 methods:

a. using the base 200 mhz and just adjusting the multipliers - this is the easiest to do and won't change the northbridge / ht link speed (this regards to memory) one caution is that people tend to think that overclocking is that simple and then end up frying up the cpu

b. adjusting the cpu bus speed while also adjusting the multiplier, this is better since you can also raise the northbridge speed (this kinda maximizes the speed of your cpu and ram)

if you're new to overclocking don't overclock too much too quickly and attempt to even change the cpu voltage if you dont know what you're doing, one mistake can be fatal for the cpu and for the whole system

try to overclock conservatively, so if your base is 3.2, maybe go 1 or 3 points above, so maybe aim for 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5

also you should make a list on paper the possible overclock calculations that you can think of, combination of alternating cpu fsb and multipliers but don't go above 3.5 or 3500 for now. once you perfected overclocking without the voltage changes then you can experiment some more with overclocking with voltage alterations. goodluck!

fsb x multiplier = cpu speed
200 x 16 = 3200 or 3.2 ghz (is this what appears on your cpu-z?)

If I will overclock your cpu, I will overclock the northbridge and ram first and stay on the exact cpu speed which is 3200 mhz or less

I will try these computations:

210 x 15
220 x 14.5
230 x 13.5
240 x 13
250 x 12.5

This is overclocking without adding voltage to the cpu. Voltage may be added to the memory to make it run at its maximum speed but not beyond the manufacturer max voltage.

This will overclock the northbridge and yo will see an increase in performance as you see an increase in HT Link and NB Frequency. BUT you have to make sure that you know the correct timings for the ram. How will you know the correct timings for the ram? Using everest and checking the spd info will tell you all the timings that your ram is capable of, also know the MAX voltage that your ram can handle, going above it will fry it, check the manufacturer website. Make sure that all the ram you have are the same, same maker, specs, model, if you are overclocking. I wouldn't suggest overclocking using different sets of ram especially if they have different voltages.

Now before you do any overclocking, run cpu-z and take screenshots of all the tabs, you may wanna print them for easier referencing. This is important so you know your computer's original baseline specs.

Also use everest to see the correct timings for the memory:

everestmemoryspd.jpg

you need to list down all the info: cl,rcd-rp,ras,rc,rfc,rrd,wr,wtr,rtp as you need these values to input in the bios later for the ram timings

ok goodluck!

-knil

tim_bethany

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
wow haha cheers thats what i call a reply :) im going to have a look at the bios and fidle a bit i already use everest ultimate so will take screen shots of that, thx for the help

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
no problem, glad to be of service. i was new to overclocking once and didn't get the replies i wanted and had a hard time finding articles on the net about how to really maximize the use of your pc and overclocking without destroying the warranty of the components by not going beyond the max voltages they can handle. most of the articles and replies i saw are aimed at overclocking the pc to super ultra mega specs as if aimed to produce a pixar movie at home or make a bank's computer. i mean overclocking should be fun and you wanna make yourself feel great that you did this overclock and the cpu didn't melt at the end of the day right? i'm trying another experiment wherein you use the usb flash drive in windows 7 as ram. i'm trying to figure out the settings that will make the usb flash drive run as fast as the overclocked memory or if it even has any benefits. i'll let you know about the results :)

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
nope, i'm using usb 2.0 and yeah just as i thought, using usb flash drives as ram in an overclocked system wlll cause it to slow down. the ram sticks are still faster. speedboost will only show a slight gain in performance on stock systems with 1gb or less ram. plus not all usb flash drives can be used by this technology.

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
maybe? i can't answer that one since i haven't really seen a motherboard that is usb 2.0 that can have a speed of usb 3.0. they're just on the way to making those new motherboards that actually have usb 3.0, the only 2 that I know of that has made usb 3.0 motherboards are asus and gigabyte. i mean it's not worth it, for practicality. if you're thinking of upgrading from an old build, just because you want tremendous amount of ram, like what they reported here ->

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

"Windows 7 allows up to eight devices for a maximum of 256 GB of additional memory." - it's enticing isn't it for a 64 bit windows 7 system?

but the question is, what do you need 256 gb or ram for? it's not like you're gonna make a shrek movie or setup a home banking network right? i mean the usb flash drives that you need to use are quite expensive too, not just any ordinary usb flash drive will work. at times like now when money is hard to get, it's better to invest in the cheapest but reliable kind of pc and just overclock it yourself. for casual gaming and multitasking 2gb of overclocked ram at 1000mhz or above is enough.

Wizardsblade

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Yea I looked for a 3.0 flash drive on new egg, they do not even carry one. I just got a new MB for my wife's PC and it has USB 3.0 and with 4GB of ram costing $100, thought it might be an interesting alternitive till prices come down.

TRENDING THREADS