Overclocking Noob needs advice

Blitz_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017
I have a Ryzen 5 1600x which is brand new, and have installed a Cooler Master ML240L AIO.

I've dialed in a 4ghz OC at 3.3v and i'm seeing idle of 40c and under stress testing i see a max of 70c after maybe 10mins.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is anything else i could do or should do to aid the cpu. the voltage seems pretty low already. but this is my first OC so really don't know much.

Second issue, I currently have 16gb (4x4Gb) of Corsair Vengeance LTX. rated at 2666. and no matter what i try, I cannot boot at rated speeds, it cycles 5 times as stated in the bios and then boots back to default.

This happens at the rated 1.2v and i've increased this to 1.34 and still can't boot (this has been done manually as well as using both XMP profiles. I appreciate that i'm not losing a great deal however im also aware of how much Ryzen likes faster memory (oh the timings for this were all set to 16-18-18-36 as specified on the label).

Any advice would be greatly appreciate (other pc specs below)

Motherboard - MSI Tomahawk B350 (BIOS was updated 2 days ago to most recent version)
GPU - GTX 1050 2GB

Solution
I'm assuming you mean 1.3V for your CPU? If you are stable at 1.3V @ 4GHz (Which is pretty good), there's not much you can do for the CPU.

The memory... Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks of memory. Should have gone with 2 sticks. All I can say is to make sure the motherboard is on the newest bios and see if the memory is "supported". Ryzen is really memory picky so you might be stuck at that speed if you got unsupported memory AND running 4 sticks.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm assuming you mean 1.3V for your CPU? If you are stable at 1.3V @ 4GHz (Which is pretty good), there's not much you can do for the CPU.

The memory... Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks of memory. Should have gone with 2 sticks. All I can say is to make sure the motherboard is on the newest bios and see if the memory is "supported". Ryzen is really memory picky so you might be stuck at that speed if you got unsupported memory AND running 4 sticks.

Solution

Blitz_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017

Sorry, yeah 1.3v, i'm not LN2 cooling haha.

I'm already kicking myself for going with the 4, however i spent hours searching through the motherboard compatability and ryzen compatability, which was an endless sea of product numbers, i picked the best value and size in the list and ran with it.

I'm hopefully looking to upgrade the board before long anyway (moving over to X470) so maybe the issues will resolve then.

Thanks for the advice though :)