Overclocking on B250-Plus i7 7700k

rolandsey

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Hello, so 1 week ago i bought i7-7700k, i have B250-Plus motherboard.

First time overclocking for me, i didn't know i can do that on this MB, but i saw a Ai Tweaker on Bios settings.

So is it possible to overclock?

EDIT: I tried to put ratio to 4.6ghz, turned turbo-boost off, started my pc with Auto Voltages. Nothing changed, my CPU still was running at 4.2ghz - 4.5ghz(with turbo)

I have 212EVO cooler, PC is at very cold place ... Temperatures without overclock is around 24-28C idle. 50-60 full load.

Thank u for support guys.

Solution
You definitely can and should buy a 7700K instead of a 7700 with a non-Z motherboard when you have the budget, even if you don't want to overclock, in which case you don't need a Z motherboard.
The reasons are that the 7700k has a higher frequency, It runs at 4.4ghz all cores/4.5ghz single core stock clock compared to the 7700, so it is at least about 10-15% faster, and it is better silicon as it has been binned to work under harsher conditions. You will also have the option to get a Z motherboard and overclock later if you wanted. You already have a good cooler for it too.

rolandsey

Prominent
May 11, 2017
dammit, but its still fine to run 7700k on B250-Plus ?

I dont really need that overclock, everything goes 100% fast, i was just trying to do that, because there was an option for AI tweaker on bios :D

rolandsey

Prominent
May 11, 2017
already running on b250-plus, but its okay to run i7 ? I know i cant get the overcloking feature, but there is there something else what i cant get running with b250plus and i7? Some features...?!?!

danielthegreate

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
You definitely can and should buy a 7700K instead of a 7700 with a non-Z motherboard when you have the budget, even if you don't want to overclock, in which case you don't need a Z motherboard.
The reasons are that the 7700k has a higher frequency, It runs at 4.4ghz all cores/4.5ghz single core stock clock compared to the 7700, so it is at least about 10-15% faster, and it is better silicon as it has been binned to work under harsher conditions. You will also have the option to get a Z motherboard and overclock later if you wanted. You already have a good cooler for it too.

Solution

rolandsey

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Oh, thats nice. I just wanted to buy a high-end processor, thats why i choose K processor, i knew the motherboard isnt the best from its class, but its still doing my work great, i get everything what i need. The question just was about overclock, but now i know if i want to overclock i need to buy Z motherboard...

Thank u for the answers guys.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
The b250 motherboards are cheap and the quality of the capacitors are not good enough to keep up with the i7 7700k, they don't have a heat sink able to keep temperatures down when paired with such a powerful processor, they are not meant in any way to be paired with a i7 7700k without expecting overheating issues and shortening the live of the processor. If you put the i7 7700k on a b250 board is most likely you are going to return asking why is your processor overheating and powering your computer down.

danielthegreate

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

Well, that's simply not true. As you can see from the spec sheet of the motherboards, they are rated for all i7 processors, no exclusion. The reason Z motherboards need better VRMs is simply because they are built for overclocking. When not overclocked, a lot of locked 7700 processors put the same strain on the motherboard (or even more if it is a bad chip) as a stock 7700k. Even a cheapo H110 motherboard can run the 7700k on stock just fine.
Some locked 7700 chips go up to 1.35v, which is 0.10-0.15v higher than your average 7700k on stock clocks, simply because the 7700k is a better and higher binned chip.

rolandsey

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I am using it for about 1 week, b250-plus + i7-7700k, idle temperatures are 24-28C idle. 50-60 full load. No problems with that, all time running 4,4-4,5ghz - high performance plan.

Heating is very good.
Computer hasn't powered down or something like that.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Lf_3gKYIQ

And the B250 won't use the full potential of the core Core i7 processors because the chipset is not compatible with a lot of newer technologies packed in the new 7th generation processors like this ones:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology.html
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology-brief.html
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/computer-upgrades/pc-upgrades/sipp-intel-stable-image-platform-program.html

rolandsey

Prominent
May 11, 2017
i dont know really nothing about some smart response... Dont need it, Intel Optane Memory is working on this MB, and i dont use integrated graphics.

So technically i use all of the features what i need. :)

Thank u for answers, we can close this topic.

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
The b250 motherboards are cheap and the quality of the capacitors are not good enough to keep up with the i7 7700k, they don't have a heat sink able to keep temperatures down when paired with such a powerful processor, they are not meant in any way to be paired with a i7 7700k without expecting overheating issues and shortening the live of the processor. If you put the i7 7700k on a b250 board is most likely you are going to return asking why is your processor overheating and powering your computer down.
I had i5-6600k on b250m mobo for about a year and I never had any issues so if you dont have any experience please dont try to be smart