Overclocking on the Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

squidmam12

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I have a an AMD FX 6300 stock clocked at 3.5 ghz. I already know that the motherboard cannot handle a truly powerful overclock. I am simply looking to boost it up to around 3.8 ghz or so. Maybe even 4. What programs do I use to do this? Is it like GPU's where every card is different or are there known presets for my CPU and Motherboard combo. Could I overclock to 4.0 ghz? Please be as specific as possible. All the other guides I find seem over complicated, and catered to more higher end cpu's and motherboards. Thank you if you respond!

Solution
I myself have the FX-6350 on an Asus M5A97 R2.0, which is a more beefy version of your motherboard, but is not an enthusiast or overclocking motherboard. My CPU is sitting very comfortably at 4.4 GHz right now. However, one of the main differences between our motherboards is that your board lacks VRM cooling, which can be very dangerous when overclocking. Honestly, if I were you, I would not overclock your CPU, especially because when you overclock, you're going to have your CPU sitting at a constant high clock speed and voltage, which could spell trouble for your motherboard. For example, at stock settings, your clock speed and voltage will dynamically change depending on the load on your PC (at idle, it will be low voltage and 1 GHz...

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I myself have the FX-6350 on an Asus M5A97 R2.0, which is a more beefy version of your motherboard, but is not an enthusiast or overclocking motherboard. My CPU is sitting very comfortably at 4.4 GHz right now. However, one of the main differences between our motherboards is that your board lacks VRM cooling, which can be very dangerous when overclocking. Honestly, if I were you, I would not overclock your CPU, especially because when you overclock, you're going to have your CPU sitting at a constant high clock speed and voltage, which could spell trouble for your motherboard. For example, at stock settings, your clock speed and voltage will dynamically change depending on the load on your PC (at idle, it will be low voltage and 1 GHz, browsing with YouTube and a bunch of tabs open maybe it reaches 3.5 GHz, gaming it boosts up to 3.9, etc). However, no matter what my PC is doing, it is always at 4.4 GHz and 1.392V (that does bump up to 1.404 sometimes though).

TL;DR: Would not recommend overclocking on your board.

Solution

squidmam12

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Ok. And just another quick question. I have a Powecolor HD 7870 and I have overlcocked that slightly using msi afterburner. I just upped the core clock a bit. Does that negatively effect the motherboard as well. Because I have had that overclocked a while just to get a few more frames. So far no problems, but am I exposing my mobo to long term damage. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS