Overclocking P4 2.93GHz

gooeykat

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
So I started overclocking my P4 2.93 Ghz 775 processor this past weekend. I have an Intel mobo, so it's taken me a while to figure out how I could do this. Finally did it on Saturday using ClockGen and got it up to 3.29 Ghz (22 Multiplier, 149 FSB, 596 Bus Speed) but for some reason I was not able to increase the FSB past 149. What is wierd is that the temps and voltages go up a little but not much (per Motherboard Monitor program that I am using). As soon as raise the FSB to 150, it locks up.

So thinking that it may been a heat issue I purchased a new fan/heatsink to replace the stock Intel version that came with the processor. I take the cpu out and clean it and put new thermal grease on, attach the new fan/heatsink. Power it up, and then the Intel Inside screen comes up and it just sits there for about 2-3 minutes (nothing going on, HD not running, nothing, it just sits there) finally XP loads. I then open ClockGen to begin overclocking. I can now barely get the FSB to 145 before it locks up.

Did I screw something up when I removed the CPU to clean?
Could I have damaged the CPU?
Is the RAM Frequency and issue?
Is it too high? (it's runs at about 299 MHz at a FSB of 149)

Anyway, not sure what is going on and I ordered a Pentium D805 as soon as I figured out how to OC my Intel mobo thinking I would be able to overclock that baby up to 3.6 GHz.

Intel P4 2.93 GHz CPU 775
Intel 945PSN Mobo
2 GHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 4200
100 GB Maxtor SATA 7200 RPM HD
XFX 7600GT XXX GPU
500-watt Ultra X-finity PSU
Windows XP Professional Edition w/SP2

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So I started overclocking my P4 2.93 Ghz 775 processor this past weekend. I have an Intel mobo, so it's taken me a while to figure out how I could do this. Finally did it on Saturday using ClockGen and got it up to 3.29 Ghz (22 Multiplier, 149 FSB, 596 Bus Speed) but for some reason I was not able to increase the FSB past 149. What is wierd is that the temps and voltages go up a little but not much (per Motherboard Monitor program that I am using). As soon as raise the FSB to 150, it locks up.

So thinking that it may been a heat issue I purchased a new fan/heatsink to replace the stock Intel version that came with the processor. I take the cpu out and clean it and put new thermal grease on, attach the new fan/heatsink. Power it up, and then the Intel Inside screen comes up and it just sits there for about 2-3 minutes (nothing going on, HD not running, nothing, it just sits there) finally XP loads. I then open ClockGen to begin overclocking. I can now barely get the FSB to 145 before it locks up.

Did I screw something up when I removed the CPU to clean?
Could I have damaged the CPU?
Is the RAM Frequency and issue?
Is it too high? (it's runs at about 299 MHz at a FSB of 149)

Anyway, not sure what is going on and I ordered a Pentium D805 as soon as I figured out how to OC my Intel mobo thinking I would be able to overclock that baby up to 3.6 GHz.

Intel P4 2.93 GHz CPU 775
Intel 945PSN Mobo
2 GHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 4200
100 GB Maxtor SATA 7200 RPM HD
XFX 7600GT XXX GPU
500-watt Ultra X-finity PSU
Windows XP Professional Edition w/SP2
It could be one of a few things. First guess is RAM. If you can lower the memory speed by divider, that may help. Or maybe your RAM needs a little more voltage...say .10v.
Also the CPU may need a touch more voltage....05v-.10v. Lastly it could be PSU related, but i don't really think that's the problem. I would concentrate on the RAM. GL :)

gooeykat

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for the response, my new Pentium D805 chip came in and I have it overclocked to 2.95 GHz. For some reason I can't go over 300 GHz on the RAM and therefore can't up my FSB anymore than 149, tried lowing the timings on memory and that didn't work. I'll bet it's just not gettting enought volts. Unfortunately, my Intel mobo has like zero overclocking features and does not let me control voltage levels. Anyway, my next mobo will certainly not be an Intel (this was my first system build and I bought the Intel board based solely on name recognition). Oh well, I'll know better next time. If you know of any Windows based programs that allow you to control voltage levels that would be great. Otherwise, I think I'm stuck with what I have.