Overclocking q6600 on stock psu

Moiz619

Reputable
May 10, 2014
Hello. Hope you all are doing great!
I need to ask if i can overclock my cpu on stock psu.

Following are the specs:-
Dell Optiplex 745 minitower
Core2Quad q6600 2.4 ghz
LGA 775 motherboard
6 gb DDR2 Ram
Stock psu 300 W(model H255PD-00) ( no idea how to describe voltage i think its 30A with 24 V again no idea)
Saphire HD 7770 1 gb card (not overclocked)
bios version 2.3.1

I really want to upgrade it to 3.0 ghz at least so that i can get like few more fps when playing games. but do i really need to buy a new PSU for that? The guy from whom i bought my cpu said that its PSU is really good. Kindly help me.
ALSO its winter here around 10-12 c :) so i dont think my cpu will get that hot will it?

Solution
This will vary in most cases because each chip is its own identity. Differences in silicon from chip to chip, even the same model chip, can cause a variety of voltages needed.

The best way to go about it is bump the FSB up by 5's testing each time for stability. Once it is unstable (crashes or test errors) then bump the voltage up by one step and retest. If stable up the FSB again by 5's till unstable, or if unstable up the voltage one more step and retest, till you reach your desired OC, voltage maximum or temperature maximum. Voltage Max. 1.5000V, CPU Temperature Max. 71°C. If you reach the temperature max then you will need a better CPU cooler, If you reach your voltage max then your out of voltage to safely overclock with...
If you are going to overclock you will need to keep the temp down. Even though it is winter outside it is not in the building so you still need to watch temps. invest in a cheap aftermarket cooler, one that will fit inside your case.

Next the PSU, It should be enough but if you start having issues it would be a good idea to get a more powerful one.

Hitting 3.0 GHz is not guaranteed because there are many factors that go into play. Testing is a necessay evil when overclocking so be sure not to rush the testing phase. Also being the Q6600 you will need to increase the FSB to overclock it this will speed up the ram and other frequency's on the motherboard so keep them in check when oveclocking so you do not force them out of there operating range.

Moiz619

Reputable
May 10, 2014

I don't understand. Are cooler and PSU both different things? can't i buy a PSU that is also a cooler?
And if i remove my case would that help bringing the temp down?

The PSU (Power Supply Unit) is not a CPU cooler it just has one major function and one minor (in some cases). The major is to provide power to the system components. The minor, depending on the case design, is to help pull hot air out of the top part of the case.

A CPU cooler has one and only one function and that is to dissipate the heat the CPU generates keeping it cool and not overheat. So you can not purchase a PSU and CPU cooler all in one, they just are not made. Sorry.

Removing the side cover or completely removing the motherboard can help with heat dissipation because of the abundance of fresh cool air but if the cooler can not dissipate the heat fast enough doing so will not help. If your case has the room look into either the Cyorg H7 or the Cooler Master 212+. Both are cheap but do a very good job at cooling for their price @ around $25-$35 USD.

Moiz619

Reputable
May 10, 2014

Okay thanks man. I just asked that because I saw an ad online of a psu cooler master etc I thought it was also a cooler...
Okay one last thing I need to ask.. what should be the core voltage value in my case? Any idea? Thanks

This will vary in most cases because each chip is its own identity. Differences in silicon from chip to chip, even the same model chip, can cause a variety of voltages needed.

The best way to go about it is bump the FSB up by 5's testing each time for stability. Once it is unstable (crashes or test errors) then bump the voltage up by one step and retest. If stable up the FSB again by 5's till unstable, or if unstable up the voltage one more step and retest, till you reach your desired OC, voltage maximum or temperature maximum. Voltage Max. 1.5000V, CPU Temperature Max. 71°C. If you reach the temperature max then you will need a better CPU cooler, If you reach your voltage max then your out of voltage to safely overclock with, IF you reach your desired OverClock then congratulations you did it. LOL

like I mentioned before watch your Ram frequency's because they will go up with FSB going up. you can set it to its lowest setting to start with while you OC the CPU then adjust it after to a frequency that works.

Solution