Overclocking Q6700 setting ? are they the same on different MB?

internetpo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Dears,

I want to Overclock my CPU and RAM if Possible, but i don't know how ! and i don't know all the parameters to change ! and i don't know how far is too far .

1-I want to Overclock my CPU to 3.2 or 3.4 (preferably) , I Want it stable for everyday use and gaming too , i need to know the parameters that i have to change and to what value for each case (3.2 and 3.4). Also need to know if i need to overclock RAM too or it's not too important.

2-If i put the same CPU, CPU Cooler, RAM on Different motherboar will the same setting used in overclocking my intel DP45SG motherboard work on another motherboard ? or i need to run stability test on the new motherboard?

3- Do you recomend using Intel desktop Control Center ?

My PC Specs:
■Motherboard : Intel DP45SG http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DP45SG/DP45SG-overview.htm
■CPU: Q6700 2.66 GHZ
■CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700 LED http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=164
■RAM: 4GB (2 X 2G) Kingston 1066 MHZ

internetpo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Dear festerovic,

Thanks for your reply. I've been reading the posted urls and other posts on tomshardware and other site it was usefull.

Though i made a lot of reading whenever i have a chance, i was not able to overclock my cpu into a stable system, i was aming for 3.2 ghz and the system is not stable at all, since i keep getting the blue screen every few minutes.
and i was afraid to mess with the cpu voltage, because i don't know what should i do with the voltage !! some sites says you should reduce voltage , others say you should increase it and now i'm confused and i appreciate if you can help.

here are my settings for 3.2 ghz
21j944k.jpg

what is wronge with those settings ?

Regards,

internetpo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

I didn't change the memory settings, they are the default values.
And in the drop down list i have (800, 1066, 1333, 1600) only.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I know you didn't change them.
But you've changed the bus speed, so the 266 reference is now running at 320. Which makes the result (1066) actually 1280. Change it to 800. See if it helps.

266 * 3 = 800 stock
320 * 3 = 960 when FSB is raised

vs previous

266 * 4 = 1066 stock
320 * 4 = 1280 when FSB is raised

How this all works seems to vary between boards. But my last two P45 boards operated like this.

If it doesn't make any difference, then its the usual case of needing to increase voltages (NB good, FSB seems low, CPU seems low-ish but not too bad).

internetpo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Dear SpidersWeb,

I've tried to change it to 800 but the whole machine didn't start i've tried many times, but it didn't work. so i had to change it to default value(1066).

any idea why?

Thanks

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
That's unusual. Sorry I do not know why.
I've never had problems with lowering RAM speed.

Hopefully some more useful folk on here have some advice, or you could ask Intel (maybe, don't know if they'd be of use).

internetpo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks a lot man :hello:

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I am faced with the same problem on my current OC, though a completely different set of hardware, (locked multiplier, OC through FSB) as I can't run lower than 4.00 multiplier. It won't even post no matter what I try.

JofaMang, you need to start your own thread. First, it's rude piggy-backing on someone else's post.

And second, you do not have the same problem. :)

AMD overclocking techniques, because of the IMC, are very different from overclocking Intel Core2 processors.

internetpo, you may have more options working through the BIOS than with Windows overclocking utilities. Keep in mind that Intel motherboards are not know to be good overclockers. They generally do not have all the necessary BIOS options.

Go into the BIOS and see if you set the memory clock multiplier (or whatever Intel calls it) to 2.0 or what ever setting will give you a memory clock twice as high as the FSB freq. There's little practical gain in overclocking RAM in a Core2 system. Here's a link to a thread discussing this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth

And what other motherboard were you thinking of using? The BIOS settings should be similar. Won't be exact, because different boards do things differently.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
It was entirely relative to the topic. I am not looking for a fix, just relating my personal experience, which is admittedly limited to AMD CPUs. Thank you for enlightening me, and motivating me to educate myself on where I am ingnorant. :D

I do apologize if it seems that I was highjacking the thread, there was no intention of the sort. I have started my own threads on topics that I needed answers for, and am not afraid of doing so in the future, as the need arises.