Overclocking Questions for a Beginner PLEASE HELP

Sep 7, 2018
First off ill start with my build:
-Intel Core i7‑7700K
-ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard
-Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance CPU Cooler
-Hydro GFX GTX 1080 Ti Liquid Cooled Graphics Card
-VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit
-AX860i Digital ATX Power Supply — 860 Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM Certified Fully-Modular PSU

So this was the first time that I have decided to overclock. I started from 4.5 GHz because my ASUS IX motherboard boosted it from 4.2 to 4.5 GHz by its self. Eventually i got to 4.8 GHz and then i ran into issues. I had it at 4.8 GHz @1.250 V and it black screened on me for the first time, so i went to the bios and put it at 1.255 V. After some time of gaming and doing one or two stress tests here and there it black screened on me again but this time when it black screened it wouldn't turn back on... i had to unplug my power supply and hold down my power button and re plug it back in for it to boot again.

After this experience i got kind of discouraged, my HW Monitor showed that it wasn't even staying at 1.255 V it was fluctuating up and down at 1.216 V. So i realized that even tho i was upping my voltage in the bios, it was not showing up in windows, (my friend when he overclocked told me he had his voltage at a solid number, where mine fluctuates lower than what i put it at)

how do i fix it so the voltage to my CPU stays at a solid number and doesn't fluctuate to lower voltages than what i set it to in the bios?

Also should i be worried that it black screened and i had to unplug my power supply for it to turn back on again? I head of black screens but i haven't heard of it not turning back on after trying to put it back on.

Solution
how do i fix it so the voltage to my CPU stays at a solid number and doesn't fluctuate to lower voltages than what i set it to in the bios?
The default auto voltage is adaptive. You need to manually set the voltage so it doesn't fluctuate.
Also should i be worried that it black screened and i had to unplug my power supply for it to turn back on again? I head of black screens but i haven't heard of it not turning back on after trying to put it back on.
It's safe and happens when the OC is unstable. Especially with RAM.
Also what are things in my Asus bios should be looked at and tweaked for overclocking, because i feel like there are so many options to fine tweak if i actually get 4.8 to be stable.
LLC = (50%) (mine...

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Try setting the voltage to 1.3. You are trying to do a fairly decent clock at low voltage.

And that voltage is what it's using at that moment by the way.. it's gonna use less volts when it isn't at max load.

The black screening is because the overclock is unstable, very unstable, what you need to do is if you actually boot up after setting voltage to 1.3, get Prime95 and test it for like 10 minutes (Watch temperatures too) and see if any of the cores fail.

Sep 7, 2018

I ran Prime 95 when setting the voltage to 1.255 and the HW Monitor showed up as my current voltage only being 1.216 or lower. And i put 1.250 to start because I saw some people online get around that voltage at like 4.8 GHz so i thought it would be the same? I guess not, but if i set it to 1.3 V and it is stable, should i try decreasing the voltage by .005 until i get it to the lowest possible? Cause i thought the lowest the better, for temps and what not. And also why is it fluctuating so much even when at load, i thought it should be set at whatever i set at in the bios

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
You want it to be stable. So yeah, you can decrease the voltage a tiny bit until it becomes unstable, once it is unstable put it up a tiny bit and then test it on prime, leave the prime test for like 5-10 minutes. If it's unstable it usually crashes a core or two within 5 minutes.

Another thing; not all CPUs are the same. Some get unlucky and need high voltage for a lower clock than others, some get lucky and need a little bit of voltage for a high clock. Silicone lottery

Sep 7, 2018

Okay i am going to try and set it to 1.3 V as a starting point and see how far i can get it down. Also i used Prime 95 for 2 hours then ran real bench for an hour and left my PC on for 6 hours after that and it didn't get black screen, then the next day i think its stable and play for around another 6 or so hours and it black screens, and that is when i upped it. It was saying i was passing everything, unless i overlooked something as prime was running? Also is it normal for a PC (when overclocking) to black screen and then when i turn it on again the lights only come on and no fans spin? cause that is what happened and i had to unplug and reset the PSU, just wanted to make sure cause it was kinda scary.

Sep 7, 2018
Also what are things in my Asus bios should be looked at and tweaked for overclocking, because i feel like there are so many options to fine tweak if i actually get 4.8 to be stable.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
The default auto voltage is adaptive. You need to manually set the voltage so it doesn't fluctuate.
It's safe and happens when the OC is unstable. Especially with RAM.
LLC = (50%) (mine has 8 levels > level 4)
AVX negative offset > -2 (for gamers)
Test with ROG RealBench. Reports errors so you don't go in blind.
Keep temps below 80c for daily usage.

Solution
Sep 7, 2018

So i have CPU Core/Cache Voltage Override on Manual Mode
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage was switched on Auto, should i disable that?

Sep 7, 2018

So i have CPU Core/Cache Voltage Override on Manual Mode
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage was switched on Auto, should i disable that?

Sep 7, 2018

Ok thanks man, im going to disable it, set my CPU voltage from 1.255 to 1.3 at 4.8 GHz, put load line calibration to 5 for CPU, and try again. Ill let you know how it goes and if anything goes wrong.
Also it doesnt let me put a negative for the AVX so i just out 2 is that fine

Sep 7, 2018
UPDATE: I just booted up, ran HW Monitor and it still says my current is 1.216 and my CPU ID says my voltage is 1.296 both of which are wrong lol

I cant seem to understand why my voltage wont stay steady every time i open HW Monitor.