Question Overclocking Questions

Jun 3, 2019
I recently upgraded my main PC and wanted to try my hand at overclocking with my old components. The hardware I am using is listed below:

Processor: AMD FX-6100
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 3.0)
RAM: G.skill f3-10666cl9d-8gbrl (x2) & G.skill f3-12800cl9d-8gbrl (x2)
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600W
GPU: Radeon 6850 (x2 crossfired)

I followed this guide to manually change my OC settings through the boards BIOS:

https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigaby...caling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming.html

I currently have the multiplier set to 20 (4.0GHz). I have disabled the core boost, turned off all the unnecessary power features, and the VCore is set at the stock "auto" setting. The PC boots up just fine and loads windows with a problem. The CPU temp isn't even close to dangerous levels. I downloaded prime 95, but the application keeps crashing whenever I try to run it. I'm not even able to begin a test. When I look at the monitoring software, the core voltage/multiplier fluctuate all over the place. When the multiplier idles at 7, the CPU voltage rests around ~1V. When the multiplier jumps up to 20 under higher loads, the core voltage jumps to ~1.3. Does anyone have any idea why I cannot run prime 95? Is there a crucial step I am missing or some kind of oversight?

I appreciate everyone's time and help, but please don't reply about upgrading my system. I know these components are old. I get it. I'm not looking to upgrade. This is a spare-PC. I'm looking to learn and would actually appreciate helpful replies.

Jun 3, 2019
Which voltage do I go off of? Since the voltage fluctuates with the multiplier, it is constantly changing in the diagnostic program. Should I use the highest voltage that corresponds with the multiplier of 20 as my baseline?

Most guides say not to exceed 1.4, and I'm afraid of damaging my components.

Unfortunately, this line of Gigabyte boards isn't very user friendly in the BIOs. Rather than allowing me to manually set the voltage, it just gives me a +/- option ranging from -.775 - +.775. it also doesn't show me what the voltage is. I'm just basing this all off of the results Im seeing in Easy Tune 6 whenever I load windows.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
Your HT link speed i too high, set it around 2.4Ghz. ( unable to see where to set this in your bios)
also set NB speed to 2.4Ghz.

you can try upto 1.5v on cpu Vcore b1.4v is what i would recommend. Your CPU vcore adjustment is set in offset mode which why you are seeing +.7 to -.7v range which means offset over stock voltage. try to find out where you can set it at manual mode. if no offset then fing what is your cpu's stock voltage by turning off vcore loadline calibration and setting vcore as auto and running a stress test at stock speed to see what voltage you get, that will be your stock voltage ( it varies from chip to chip ). then add offset accordingly to get 1.4v

What cpu cooler and cabinet you have ?

your bios is set in uefi mode, i thinks it have limited option so set it to legacy mode which should make it look like this and will give easy access to settings i mentioned
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJVsxlQYnmM