Question Overclocking RAM 1333MHz to 1600MHz

marko94.pozarevac

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I dont know how to overclock RAM or CPU with my motherboard, i have never done that and i need help from you guys. Does overclocking ram from 1333MHz to 1600MHz (probably cant go higher) makes any sense? Do i need to overclock my cpu too or i can do it only with RAM? Does that has any sense?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz
MBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.0)
RAM: Corsair value select vs2gb1333d4 2x2GB 1333MHz
PSU: LC Power LC9550 V2.3 - Gold Series 550W

CPU-Z - cpu
CPU-Z - memory
CPU-Z - spd

If you need more infos about my pc and components or what ever, just ask ;)

You could overclock just your RAM, but it would be better to get more RAM. Your system and CPU are old. Only buy more DDR3 if you plan to keep your system longer. Otherwise, save up for a new system with DDR4 RAM.

I looked at the timings of your RAM. By increasing timings from 9-9-9-24 to 11-11-11-36, you could easily run at 1600 or even 1866MHz. Oh, you would also increase the dram voltage from 1.50V to 1.65V.

But again, if you are gaming, most games now need more than 4GB of system RAM.

You boot to the BIOS and change the settings from there. Every motherboard has a different bios, if you don't have your motherboard's manual you can download the .pdf from the manufacturer's website.

Usually, you can leave the timings and voltage on Auto and just change the RAM speed and hopefully it will adjust accordingly. But if that doesn't work, then you can adjust them manually.