Question Overclocking RAM and using XMP

Callum_33

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Hi all,

I recently bought a new PC and I have been trying to overclock it, I've gotten my CPU to 4.2ghz but I can not get my ram to 3600 where it is meant to be. I've tried taking the Voltage up to 1.4v and the SoCvoltage from 1.1 gradually up to 1.2 but the furthest I can get is 3466. I do not know whether to mess around with the timings because I think the XMP profile has already set it to what it should be for 3600 but I just can't get it to work. does anyone think they know the reason it keeps crashing?

System Specs:
RYZEN 3700X
CORSAIR VENGANCE PRO RGB 16GB 3600MHZ (18 22 22 22 42)
AORUS ELITE X570
NZXT KRAKEN X62
RADEON 5700XT
500GB M.2
1TB SS
750W POWER SUPPLY

zx128k

Reputable
Looks like an IF of 1733 could be close to your maximum. Try IF of 1767 it's just below 1800. Set your RAM to very loose timings of a jedec profile. We are just trying to see if you can boot at the target IF frequency. Once you have your Infinity Fabric clock speed (FCLK) you can dial in your RAM settings. An Uncoupled memory clock (MCLK) and fabric clock (FCLK) just reduces performance.

Goals,
Find your fastest Infinity Fabric clock speed (FCLK).

To find the maximum (FCLK), we don't mind an Uncoupled memory clock (MCLK) and fabric clock (FCLK).
You state that 3466 works for your RAM. If you are running in coupled mode then this implies a FCLK of 1733.

You need to evalulate FCLK, without MCLK as a factor. Once you have found a target for maximum FCLK, then see what MCLK you can get. I have heard of some 3700x's that won't do a FCLK of 1800 or above.

Example,

My 3800x will boot with a FCLK of 1900 but won't boot above 1917. Target RAM speed is 3800, with a FCLK of 1900. I then have to dial in the memory timings and test for stability. Memtest86 and Ryzen DRAM calculator are useful for testing. V-ray can be good for finding an unstable FCLK. I have found if you run the v-ray benchmark a number of times and the voltages are wrong. Then sound will crackle if you play a video files and also sometimes reboots etc. Aida64 runs fine.

Ryzen 3000 Memory Overclocking Guide

Last edited: