Question Overclocking ram is safe?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Evga x299 ftw k
Gskill f4-2400c17s 24gb
I5 7640x

Last time I tried to overclock the same model ram sticks, either my CPU died or all 4 sticks of ram died. I did 1.3v 2600mhz.

After finally getting my parts back from the rma, the first thing I want to do is see how well they overclock. I'm sort of mixing ram. Two sticks of F4-2400C17S-8GNT and 2 sticks of F4-2400C17S-4GNT.

Should I not touch it? When overclocking my cpu, I messed with core PLL voltage just to see what it would do and it couldnt post and i got error code 22 which freaked me out because that's the same error code I got last time something died. What settings should I mess with? Frequency and voltage?

tennis2

Distinguished
1.3V shouldn't have KILLED DDR4 RAM. If anything it would render the system unstable (and crash/bsod) then you reset the CMOS, restart and everything should be fine.

How much performance uplift are you expecting from this exercise? I can pretty confidently say you're NOT going to see an 8% performance increase from this 8% OC.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
1.3V shouldn't have KILLED DDR4 RAM. If anything it would render the system unstable (and crash/bsod) then you reset the CMOS, restart and everything should be fine.

How much performance uplift are you expecting from this exercise? I can pretty confidently say you're NOT going to see an 8% performance increase from this 8% OC.
That's what everyone says. I did 1.3v 2600mhz and it never posted again. I even bought a new motherboard and it still didnt post. So pretty much there is no explanation as to what happened. I want to sell or reuse my old board but I'm afraid to put my new parts into it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS