[SOLVED] Overclocking ram kills cpu

jacob.jolliff23

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
so i was Messing around with the ram MHz trying to overclock it and when it shutdown it wouldn't post or load anything. i have a ryzen 5 3600x, viper ram, and a b450 tomahawk motherboard with some led indicators on it. the LED's light up for the CPU

Solution
Unplug the PC from the wall power outlet, take off the CMOS battery for atleast 5 mins and press the power button a few times (Yes the PC wont start, I know that).

After that try to shorcut the COMS pins again but keep the short for at least 10 seconds.

Now put back the battery, plug the PC and see if it works.

You can also try to take out the RAM and put it in a diferent slot (if it was a kit of 2 sticks of RAM, you could simple take one out).

Good luck
Nov 3, 2019
so i was Messing around with the ram MHz trying to overclock it and when it shutdown it wouldn't post or load anything. i have a ryzen 5 3600x, viper ram, and a b450 tomahawk motherboard with some led indicators on it. the LED's light up for the CPU
Clear the CMOS by shorting the two pins on the motherboard labeled CLR_CMOS or something like that and disconnect power just in case you shorted the wrong one
Edit: i just realized CountMike said the same thing :)

Unplug the PC from the wall power outlet, take off the CMOS battery for atleast 5 mins and press the power button a few times (Yes the PC wont start, I know that).

After that try to shorcut the COMS pins again but keep the short for at least 10 seconds.

You can also try to take out the RAM and put it in a diferent slot (if it was a kit of 2 sticks of RAM, you could simple take one out).

Good luck

Solution

jacob.jolliff23

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017

Good luck
Thanks man, thats twice that i have had problems caused by the cmos on one of my computers and couldn't figure it out. i was worried i would have to take the cpu out and take it back with the warranty i have one it. i did remove the battery but i don't remember if i had jumped it or not but i didn't do the power button thing either

Reactions: RodroX
Thanks man, thats twice that i have had problems caused by the cmos on one of my computers and couldn't figure it out. i was worried i would have to take the cpu out and take it back with the warranty i have one it. i did remove the battery but i don't remember if i had jumped it or not but i didn't do the power button thing either

Glad it help, I just wrote a longer version of what CountMike said.