[SOLVED] Overclocking RAM was too easy ?

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
I have 2x8gb HyperX Fury 2666hz ram. I've tried overclokcing it but I've just changed the frequency from 2666 to 3200 (XMP is ON) and nothing else. I've read a lot about having to change timings, DRAM voltage and other stuff, but is it really necessary if everything works fine on AUTO ?

Solution
Ok
Cool
Now you can verify whether it's good settings or not.
I use Aida64 extreme memory test for hrs.
Other programs that I use are Asus RealBench set for stress test for
( x ) number of hrs and 8gb of mem.
There should Be No Hash Mismatch.
I also open Hwinfo64 off to the side where I can watch what my temps are doing during this.

You can also run Cinnabench r20 for multiple runs by hitting the preferences tab and setting the seconds to run 300 is like 5 runs back to back on my systems.
So 600 - 900 and no crashes would be good.

And then if you're a gamer give it a good long session watching for good or bad changes.

Last but not Least P-95 custom settings which is good to do over night while your sleeping (temps permitting)...
If 3200 was XPM on that was the Overclock settings for "What you've read".
Its an profile intergrated into RAM's Chip, which are factory overclock settings.
Thats easiest way.
Hardest way, get tight timings (lower is better with higher frequency, most of time), etc. (In short its complicated)

jasonf2

Distinguished
If you had an xmp profile and your are running it it changed your settings for you. XMP adjusted timings etc. to a quasi known overclock setting. It doesn't work with every ram/board/cpu combo though. I am glad to hear it worked for you.

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
look like is overclock, but the timing is really bad
I hope CL20 at 3200hz is still better than CL16 at 2666hz. I've read somewhere that the ram latency doesn't matter as such if you have an Intel cpu as it would matter with Ryzen
The timing is still 16/18/18/39 in Bios so...
It's all Auto but shows 16/18/18/39 grayed out, and the funny part is if I try to manually set it to 16/18/18/39 I get a blue screen and it has to restart to default for me to even power on my pc