[SOLVED] Overclocking RAM was too easy ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
I have 2x8gb HyperX Fury 2666hz ram. I've tried overclokcing it but I've just changed the frequency from 2666 to 3200 (XMP is ON) and nothing else. I've read a lot about having to change timings, DRAM voltage and other stuff, but is it really necessary if everything works fine on AUTO ?

Solution
Ok
Cool
Now you can verify whether it's good settings or not.
I use Aida64 extreme memory test for hrs.
Other programs that I use are Asus RealBench set for stress test for
( x ) number of hrs and 8gb of mem.
There should Be No Hash Mismatch.
I also open Hwinfo64 off to the side where I can watch what my temps are doing during this.

You can also run Cinnabench r20 for multiple runs by hitting the preferences tab and setting the seconds to run 300 is like 5 runs back to back on my systems.
So 600 - 900 and no crashes would be good.

And then if you're a gamer give it a good long session watching for good or bad changes.

Last but not Least P-95 custom settings which is good to do over night while your sleeping (temps permitting)...

rgd1101

Don't
Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
I would think most likely,
I do know on my son;s msi Mobo which is a Amd I had to set the bios to Expert to get to some of the finer timings otherwise it set timings where it wanted not to what I wanted.
Mite try a cmos reset and start fresh looking for those things to see what goes.
But by all rights setting xmp your ram should be running 2666mhz and have the timings that are printed on the label of the ram At The Least.
Is this Ram on your QVL for the mobo?

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
Also we should have asked you way sooner for the your system spec's that way everyone can get a better idea of what you are exactly working with.
Tried the Memory Try it settings, I've set it as "3200hz 16CL" and yes, programs like speccy and cpu-z show normal 16/18/18/38 timings but the RAM frequency is shown as 1333hz again... this is getting weirder and weirder

My specs are
Zotac z370-a pro
i7 8700k
2x8gb 2666hz Hyperx fury
rtx 2070

Last edited:

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
Boom I got it now, before playing with the TRY IT settings I've set all of my other stuff to default. BUT now if I set my RAM frequency as 3200hz THEN use TRY IT "3200hz 16CL" settings AND on top of that set XMP ON it now runs at 3200hz with 16/18/18/38 timings.
CPU-Z https://ibb.co/cw2bfLv
The TRY IT settings turned my DRAM voltage from 1.200 to 1.408, is this voltage fine for a long run ?

Ok
Cool
Now you can verify whether it's good settings or not.
I use Aida64 extreme memory test for hrs.
Other programs that I use are Asus RealBench set for stress test for
( x ) number of hrs and 8gb of mem.
There should Be No Hash Mismatch.
I also open Hwinfo64 off to the side where I can watch what my temps are doing during this.

You can also run Cinnabench r20 for multiple runs by hitting the preferences tab and setting the seconds to run 300 is like 5 runs back to back on my systems.
So 600 - 900 and no crashes would be good.

And then if you're a gamer give it a good long session watching for good or bad changes.

Last but not Least P-95 custom settings which is good to do over night while your sleeping (temps permitting).
Small fft's 128k --- 4096mb
6min ---- and 75% of your Available free memory.
So if 14000mb's available 75% = 10500mb's
Avx's disabled
Run watching for any worker stoppage.
You can also open Hwinfo64 to get how much Available memory you have and watch your temps.
If your temps are good on the small fft's then you can run this for 8-10 hrs if no worker stoppage then You can call it stable.

Any Mem Oc needs testing to confirm the system is STABLE.
Good Luck!!!!

Solution
CAS latency (CL) is only half of the equation when it comes to memory's 'true' latency. It only indicates the total number of clock cycles not the duration of each cycle. It would be good if you could get CL down to 19 or 18 at 3200MHz but, truthfully, you'll only see the difference in synthetic benchmarks. Stability is way more important.
Can you run Memtest86 at CL20 and 3200MHz for 90 mins without any errors?

Last edited:

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
I ran AIDA64 Extreme, Cinebench and Prime95 for a while and got no errors
I've also got around 85c on my CPU while running for only 30 minutes... my cooler is SilientumPC Fortis 3. I guess there is something wrong with it, gonna clean in up and change the thernal paste or just buy a better one like the Noctua NH-D15S or Quiet Dark Rock Pro4

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS