Question Overclocking Ram

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
What do I have to oc in the bios so the Ram will run at 3000mhz? Since the ram runs at 3000 by default, the mb supports 3000 but the cpu supports only 2666 the ram will be limited by the cpu to 2666, so I know I have to oc something to make it run 3000mhz. What exactly do I have to do in the bios? Do i only have to turn on that XMP option and that's it?

What do I have to oc in the bios so the Ram will run at 3000mhz? Since the ram runs at 3000 by default, the mb supports 3000 but the cpu supports only 2666 the ram will be limited by the cpu to 2666, so I know I have to oc something to make it run 3000mhz. What exactly do I have to do in the bios? Do i only have to turn on that XMP option and that's it?

That depends on the motherboard, what motherboard do you have exactly?

Z370-p II

Ok so if it's a Z series board you should be able to bump up ram speeds.

The XMP profile should set the ram to run at it's recommended 3000mhz with standard timings, so just activate that and you should be good.

It is possible to try and run your ram faster, or tighten the timings beyond the XMP defaults by going into the manual settings, however that is tricky so I wouldn't recommend that to be honest.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
What CPU do you have? Chances are it can support higher, the max default without XMP Profile is DDR4-2666. If your motherboard can support XMP, it may be able to drive the CPU to support higher. Enable XMP Profile in BIOS to see if it can boot up. Also, check to see if you have the latest BIOS.
I5 9600k. Don't wanna oc the ram further tho because i also want to oc the cpu to 5ghz