Overclocking RAM...

Geneticfreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Hi everyone,

First time poster but been reading these forums a lot recently and finding them very useful! :)

Just a quick query. I am very new to overclocking, but have recently decided to get into it. I currently have an AMD 2800+ Barton, that I recently overclocked up to 2.3ghz(12.5x multi, 184/368mhz FSB), and was runing very stable, using the the stock VCORE settings but I was wondering if there was any point in changing my RAM timings? The ram I am using is 1gb PC3200, it is not anything special or a named brand. What would be the optimum settings to put it at? I think it is currently at 2-3-3-7 but I am at work at the moment and cannot check it.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Geneticfreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks for the advice! I tried the timings you suggested, but the PC would not boot. Hehe! The computer boots up with the timings set to 2.5-3-2-6 (couldn't set the last number to 5 anyway, BIOS would only allow 6) so they are set at that right now. Didn't get the chance to run Memtest or anything but the system seemed stable just browsing and stuff. Didn't try any games either but I am going to try and run some of the programs tonight.

One thing I noticed is that my CPUZ tells me that my timings are something like 2.5-3-4-8 or something like that. Is that normal? or does CPUZ not recognise the timings properly or something?

Thanks for your help! :)

PaCanc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I had some problems with CPUZ myself, when reading the memory timings, so don't worry.

I also played with the memory timings a lot some time ago, and the performance increase was minimal.

Geneticfreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I had some problems with CPUZ myself, when reading the memory timings, so don't worry.

I also played with the memory timings a lot some time ago, and the performance increase was minimal.

Yeah, I haven't actually run any benchmarks or anything yet. It will probably do nothing really, but fun to try and i'm learning something new in the process! Win-win really! :)

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks for the advice! I tried the timings (CL2.0-2-2-5) you suggested, but the PC would not boot.

Have you tried to increase the voltage? Be careful... i'd recommend you to do a web search for other experiences and try slowly.
Anyway, those timmings (CL2.0-2-2-5 at bus 200MHz) are pretty much aggressive and if your memory isn't made to accept them than you won't reach it. Usually those low latencies memories are important not especially for the CL2.0 by itself but because they allow better OC with higher bus speed with lower latencies.

The computer boots up with the timings set to 2.5-3-2-6 (couldn't set the last number to 5 anyway, BIOS would only allow 6) so they are set at that right now.

Depending on the bus speed those timmings can be good.
In my case, i have a dual channel kit Patriot 2x512MB CL2.0-3-2-5 and with my motherboard i discovered that this low latency works is also present with 215MHz bus speed.

If you can reach higher bus speeds, than the latency will increase but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Geneticfreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Have you tried to increase the voltage? Be careful... i'd recommend you to do a web search for other experiences and try slowly.

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated!

I did actually look for voltage settings on my motherboard, but it didn't seem to have any settings to change my RAM voltage. Its VDIMM settings I am supposed to be looking for to change the RAM voltage, correct?

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

I did actually look for voltage settings on my motherboard, but it didn't seem to have any settings to change my RAM voltage. Its VDIMM settings I am supposed to be looking for to change the RAM voltage, correct?

Yes.

Geneticfreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Those are good timings. :D Great job!

Thanks! :)

Yeah, couldn't see anything in BIOS to change this setting. Will double check again later when I get home though.