[SOLVED] Overclocking resulted in permanent BSOD (Critical process died)

Flackoko

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
Hello, I've attempted to overclock my CPU I7-9700k up from 4.6ghz to 4.9 ghz. It was unable to become stable even with 1.40v (tried from 1.30 all the way up to 1.40)
I kept trying to lower the freq from 4.9 to 4.8 ghz to 4.7 ghz . It kept BSOD giving me Critical Process Died every time i booted up.
Then I tried to run with stock settings by resetting in BIOS, still gave me BSOD. Then I tried to reset CMOS, same result.

Now I am panicking because I am not sure what to do. I can still get into bios, it just wont let me get past bios and into windows.

I hope there's a friendly soul here that can help me

Edit: Forgot to add the first BSOD appeared when I ran P95 stresstesting, 2 seconds after running I got bsod'ed and then I havent been able to boot since then. I am also not able to boot into safe mode

My specs are:

Aorus z390 Ultra
i7 9700k
Rtx 2080 Super
Gigabyte SSD
Corsair vengeance 2x 8gb ram

Last edited:
Solution
Currently not an option for me as I just moved and don't have access to a USB, is there anything else you can think of?
Do you know if it is possible to use my android phone as a bootable usb drive? it uses USB-C port and my desktop supports USB-C

Edit: I have USB available with 4gb storage, would that be enough for linux?
4GB would be more than plenty. Im currently experiencing the same problem as you are, just built this system:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
RAM: 96GB G.Skill 3200Mhz CAS Lat 14 Quad Channel
Monitor: SAMSUNG 49-inch Odyssey G9 - QHD, 240hz, 1000R Curved Gaming Monitor, 1ms, NVIDIA G-SYNC & FreeSync, QLED
Video Card: MSI Gaming X Trio 2080 Ti
Sound Card: Creative...
Hello, I've attempted to overclock my CPU I7-9700k up from 4.6ghz to 4.9 ghz. It was unable to become stable even with 1.40v (tried from 1.30 all the way up to 1.40)
I kept trying to lower the freq from 4.9 to 4.8 ghz to 4.7 ghz . It kept BSOD giving me Critical Process Died every time i booted up.
Then I tried to run with stock settings by resetting in BIOS, still gave me BSOD. Then I tried to reset CMOS, same result.

Now I am panicking because I am not sure what to do. I can still get into bios, it just wont let me get past bios and into windows.

I hope there's a friendly soul here that can help me

Edit: Forgot to add the first BSOD appeared when I ran P95 stresstesting, 2 seconds after running I got bsod'ed and then I havent been able to boot since then. I am also not able to boot into safe mode

My specs are:

Aorus z390 Ultra
i7 9700k
Rtx 2080 Super
Gigabyte SSD
Corsair vengeance 2x 8gb ram
Use a bootable usb and see if you can boot into linux if so then it's a windows problem.

Flackoko

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
Use a bootable usb and see if you can boot into linux if so then it's a windows problem.

Currently not an option for me as I just moved and don't have access to a USB, is there anything else you can think of?
Do you know if it is possible to use my android phone as a bootable usb drive? it uses USB-C port and my desktop supports USB-C

culbear

Commendable
Mar 25, 2018

4GB would be more than plenty. Im currently experiencing the same problem as you are, just built this system:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
RAM: 96GB G.Skill 3200Mhz CAS Lat 14 Quad Channel
Monitor: SAMSUNG 49-inch Odyssey G9 - QHD, 240hz, 1000R Curved Gaming Monitor, 1ms, NVIDIA G-SYNC & FreeSync, QLED
Video Card: MSI Gaming X Trio 2080 Ti
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 & Sound Blaster X7
Headphones: Sony MDR-Z7
Storage: Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - NVMe PCIe M.2, Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2, Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2, SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, 2x Western Digital 4TB @ RAID-0
Cooling: Custom Loop with 2x PrimoChill 360mm EximoSX Ultra Radiator - Toxic Candy Color, 6x 120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans, EKWB RGB D5 Pump/Res Combo, Waterblock on CPU and GPU
Case: Lian Li O11DXL-X O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) ATX Full Tower
Lighting: 6x RGB LED Strips
Keyboard: Whirldwind FX Element
Other: 2x WhirldwindFX Vortx, Valve Index, Streamdeck XL

Cant even get into windows, nor windows install, just get BSOD over and over, I tried booting into ubuntu studio, but it gave me a super quick error and screen went black

Solution