Question Overclocking RTX 2070, artifact scanner report errors although nothing visible

Omar Abd-Elrahiem

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Hello,
at the beginning here are my specs:
Core i7 7700K (stock clocks - 4.2ghz -> 4500ghz)
MSI RTX 2070 Armor (NON OCed version)
Corsair Vengeance 2X8GB (stock clocks - 3200hz)
Seasonic M12II 620w (used by me for 4-5 years)

Question is:
I am trying to overclock my GPU to get the most out if it, I tried these settings using MSI afterburner:
max voltage, temp, power limits
core clock : +200hz
memory clock: +1000hz

I tested these settings with almost all benchmarks, including 1 hour stress test using both MSI kombustor and FurMark, and all tests went smooth with core clock reaching 2ghz and memory clock reaching 8ghz, temperatures are stable (does not exceed 67c) and no artifacts at all in benchmarks nor games.

but when I tried to use artifact scanners like MSI kombustor artifact scanner or OCCT, it reports increasing number of errors over time, although I can't see any artifacts on screen.

my question is, can I just ignore these artifact scanner, they may be faulty or something? can this harm my GPU over time?

Thank you for your answers, in advance.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would strongly advise against ignoring it. The system can detect artifacts with FAR greater ability than you can. Just because an error occurs doesn't mean it'll be big enough or slow enough for the human eye to see it.

Think of knock sensors on a car engine. They can pick up knocks/pings that are inaudible to the human ear, but still actually happening in the combustion chamber.

Turn the settings lower to where NO the artifact scanners report ZERO issues.

Omar Abd-Elrahiem

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I would strongly advise against ignoring it. The system can detect artifacts with FAR greater ability than you can. Just because an error occurs doesn't mean it'll be big enough or slow enough for the human eye to see it.

Think of knock sensors on a car engine. They can pick up knocks/pings that are inaudible to the human ear, but still actually happening in the combustion chamber.

Turn the settings lower to where NO the artifact scanners report ZERO issues.

I appreciate your response,

actually, the highest settings that do no generate artifact errors by scanners are core +150 and memory +750, which are far away than 200 and 1000 I tested recently, what makes it even more strange, is that using Nvidia OCScanner suggests increasing core clocks by 173hz, which also generates few artifacts at the beginning of the test, so that made me wonder if these tests are accurate, or it is just OCScanner tool is not that good.