Question Overclocking Ryzen 3700x

mradr

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hello everyone. I think got a really good chip - but I seem to have hit a wall just a bit. When I try to overclocking my CPU even .25 over 43 ratio and reboot to then run Cinebench - I seem to crash/force restart back into the BIOS saying CPU over heart. This seems strange as 43 is very stable with HWiBO64 saying I am in the 80-85c range when it crashes out.

I can't seem to pin point what is over heating for say - so I thought I come here. Granted - I been playing around with voltage just a bit to see if I can get it stable to run correctly even for 43.25 or higher - going up to 1.4V in some cases with it being stable - but around 1.36 it seems to be stable for power but still gives me that over heat crash. I think the chip is fine - but something weird with the motherboard. I am running a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero. I also have a 1:1 1900 memory and fclock. Maybe this is normal for everyone? I just I thought I ask here if it wasn't and or if there was other ideas to check.

Also, I seem to be getting a weird sound issue - had it from the start even before overclocking - but I guess I should also ask if this normal for Asus board to have this problem and/or if there was a fix out there for it?

Here is what I have at stable for 43 and running Cinebench a few times.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I think got a really good chip - but I seem to have hit a wall just a bit. When I try to overclocking my CPU even .25 over 43 ratio and reboot to then run Cinebench - I seem to crash/force restart back into the BIOS saying CPU over heart. This seems strange as 43 is very stable with HWiBO64 saying I am in the 80-85c range when it crashes out.

I can't seem to pin point what is over heating for say - so I thought I come here. Granted - I been playing around with voltage just a bit to see if I can get it stable to run correctly even for 43.25 or higher - going up to 1.4V in some cases with it being stable - but around 1.36 it seems to be stable for power but still gives me that over heat crash. I think the chip is fine - but something weird with the motherboard. I am running a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero. I also have a 1:1 1900 memory and fclock. Maybe this is normal for everyone? I just I thought I ask here if it wasn't and or if there was other ideas to check.

Also, I seem to be getting a weird sound issue - had it from the start even before overclocking - but I guess I should also ask if this normal for Asus board to have this problem and/or if there was a fix out there for it?

Here is what I have at stable for 43 and running Cinebench a few times.

From what I've read, you have to be able to control temp under 75C during load when pushing it that hard. So 4.3G seems to be about 'it' for a 3700x in manual all-core overclocks. Some people with really good silicon AND cooling do get higher, but I think 4.3 is about it for the rest of us.

At 4.3 Gig mine is Cinebench 20 and 'desktop' stable all day long...that includes Realbench. But push it up that extra 25Mhz and the voltage needed gets majorly high--1.45-1.47 V for me--and temp is simply uncontrollable by my 240mm AIO. It crashes pretty quick.

I'm really not seeing the benefit of 4.3 all-core vs. just turning on PBO and setting scalar at 10X. It boost a little longer that way, the ST scores are higher (by 5-10 points) vs. 4.3G manual. MT scores' are lower but nobody's going be able to notice 100 CB20 points in use, least of all me.

mradr

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Alright. Yea seem strange to me. I would figure .25->1 would increase heat output - but still with in spec + cooling. Even with a little extra voltage - it just seems crazy to think overheating was an issue from the temp reports.

I was about to get power stable at around 44 at 1.36-1.4V -> meaning I could in theory run low CPU task - but as soon as I run any benchmarks it would crash out saying posting back to the BIOS saying CPU over heated. The monitor doesn't seem high - but I guess something must happen between the switch from 43 to 44 that kicks in.

ASK THE COMMUNITY