Overclocking Ryzen 5 1400

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
Hey guys, I've had my Ryzen 5 1400 processor for a while now and I love it, however I would love it even more if I could squeeze out a little more power from it.
Yes, I am yet another overclocking noob.

I have absolutely no knowledge on the overclocking topic and have always been scared that I would ruin something or I never found the need, since my old processor was an AMD X4 880K with god knows what cheap motherboard I got for £35 which had an indefinitely incompatible chip set for overclocking. It ran at 4 GHz around 85°C during games and its not like that thing had any power already let alone squeezing out some more.

I've never really touched on the overclocking subject however one of my friends pointed out its fantastic, and seeing on YouTube that my processor can do pretty well for its self above its stock frequency has improved my view on overclocking

All in all I'd just like some advice on how to do it.
for example, how does voltage change with the frequency?
what voltage will I be looking for?
will it be possible to overclock this bad boy to 4 GHz or is that too much to ask,
and how the hell do I do it?
Keeping in mind my rig is made for gaming if it matters

Specs:
Ryzen 5 1400 @ 3.2 GHz
MSI RX 470 4G (soon upgrade to 1060 3gb)
MSI B350 Tomahawk
Samsung 850 evo 250gb, WD blue 1tb, seagate yaddayadda 1tb
XFX TS 430W PSU
Cryorig m9a
and 3 case fans if it matters

Thanks! :D

MRBANG1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I think the easiest way is to find a step by step guide on youtube - there is bound to be one out there for the Tomahawk motherboard by now. I don't imagine you can hit 4.0, that might be a little over the average, my guess with the cryorig cooler you have somewhere around 3.6GHZ. Also, changing your GPU to a 1060 3Gb is not a big upgrade, hope you get that cheap.

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

Thanks and the reason I'm upgrading is because my RX 470 sold for about £310 when I bought it for £180 a few months back. I'm temporarily using an nvidia 7600GT just to write this that I got from my friend. I have my eye on a 1060 for £200

Even if it's not much of an upgrade, it's the only one I can get at the moment with the massive GPU shortage.