[SOLVED] Overclocking ryzen 5 1500x breaks the voltage for lower Pstates

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Okay so I love the extra performance gain when OC, but I have noticed that when I Overclock my Ryzen 1500x the voltages for Pstate 2 and 3 breaks.
Normal voltages without PBO and OC
1550mhz=0.88v=20w
3000mhz=0.98v=31w
3500mhz=1.15v=46w

Voltages when OCing
1550mhz=1.35=32w
3000mhz=1.35=47w
3900mhz=1.35=67w

I have tried applying OC from the PStates leaving Pstates 2, 3 in auto mode and also have tried custom mode, but voltages wont drop, they remain static at 1.35, I would love to keep my PC at 3000mhz @ 0.98v when browsing and leave 3900mhz @1.35v just for gaming because the power comsuption from 31w to 67w is more than twice and the performance gain is not worth, just around 30% more for more than twice the power consumption is not worth if i'm going to browse or for light multitasking.

Solution
I think that's your problem too. Basic motherboards are really annoying to overclock on LOL. They don't have the features like other boards do.

And FYI, where are you getting those crazy wattages?

Because, tests have shown that downclocking does almost nothing to power consumption. maybe 5W, 10W at most. It's so small that it's really only for laptops and tablets, desktops just have it because there's no penalty to having it.

Basically, amperage or the amount of work the CPU will do determines 95% of the CPUs power draw. I can attest to this, when i run pure manual voltage, and no downclocking/undervolting happening. I basically get identical wattage and temperature results vs with Pstates enabled.
Hey there,

First thing I'd ask, is why you are using pstate to OC?

What are you trying to achieve with your OC? Just faster clockspeed?

Would you not try the simple way to OC, and just go with that? You could get a 3.9ghz OC with a 1.3v (or thereabouts) without messing with anything else, other than CPU voltage and adjusting the multiplier.

Edit: Also, list your full PC specs.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hey there,

First thing I'd ask, is why you are using pstate to OC?

What are you trying to achieve with your OC? Just faster clockspeed?

Would you not try the simple way to OC, and just go with that? You could get a 3.9ghz OC with a 1.3v (or thereabouts) without messing with anything else, other than CPU voltage and adjusting the multiplier.

Edit: Also, list your full PC specs.

As I stated in the thread if you read it, what I want to achieve is to preserve low power consuption at lower frequency 3ghz @0.98v and high performance for gaming @3.9ghz @1.35v, that's why I tried custom Pstates OC, because just changing multiplier and voltage will get me 3.9ghz all the time even with cool'n quiet enabled, but with the custom Pstates despite I'm able to drop the frequency, voltages remain the same all the time.

Not all the chips are the same, and mine chrashes @3.9ghz @1.34v beucause I have no LLC option in my motherboard and vdrops screw the stability of the chip.

Asrock HVD B450m R4.0
Ryzen 5 1500x
16gb DDR4 @2400mhz
Cooler Master 550w
Zotac GTX 1050ti

I think that's your problem too. Basic motherboards are really annoying to overclock on LOL. They don't have the features like other boards do.

Because, tests have shown that downclocking does almost nothing to power consumption. maybe 5W, 10W at most. It's so small that it's really only for laptops and tablets, desktops just have it because there's no penalty to having it.

Basically, amperage or the amount of work the CPU will do determines 95% of the CPUs power draw. I can attest to this, when i run pure manual voltage, and no downclocking/undervolting happening. I basically get identical wattage and temperature results vs with Pstates enabled.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020

From hwmonitor, despite they might not be the most precise way to measure it, it reflects the changes in the voltages in the wattage and helps me to have an idea of the power consumption that my motherboard/CPU report.

I think it's not worth to overclock then, I'll leave it stock, not gonna pain over 400mhz.