[SOLVED] Overclocking Ryzen 5 2600... cant get 4.1ghz.. any tips?

Okay so Im trying to OC my R5 2600. Im stable at 4.0ghz at 1.375v with LLC on mode 1 (which vdroops during stress testing to about 1.33-1.35v).

However I cannot get a stable OC on 4.1ghz no matter how high I raise the voltage.

Im very inexperienced when it comes to oc'ing so maybe there is some other settings I can try that you guys would know about?

I tried 4.1ghz from 1.375 all the way up to 1.43 It only works at all on anything 1.4 or above (which drops to 1.4v with LLC mode 1). It was stable for about 30 minutes using AIDA64 (trial version). I did CPU, FPU, CACHE, and MEMORY all at the same time for the test, temps reached a maximum of 87c. Im scared to push the voltage any further because then my cpu would be idleing at 1.45v or higher which isnt safe for the ryzen 5.

However my cpu will NEVER be under the type of load the FPU test puts on the cpu so just for arguments sake I turned off that option and ran the test again. It lasted 2 hours before crashing. With a max temp of 82c.

So could it just be cooling? OR could I maybe try doing something different to try and stabilize this OC for gaming loads without degrading the cpu or other hardware?

I also have my memory oc'd. Its max frequency is 3000mhz c15 (15-17-17-17-36) but I turned off xmp, boosted the frequency up to 3200mhz at c15 (15-17-17-17-36). I raised the voltage from 1.37 to 1.4. SO im not sure if this effects the cpu oc as well.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!

pc specs in signature

Solution
Cool cool!!
4.0 ghz my be your limit
You may have hit your cpu's wall that may be hard to jump over.
I would just go for 4.0g and concentrate on maybe higher llc helping lower the voltage
Till 4 is rock solid.
Listing your systems specs will help.
Here is a link to my oc adventure.
You may get some help but don't use my voltages each system no matter if the exact parts or not are Different.

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
If you're on the stock cooler that's probably the best you can do. I can only get 3.9@1.35v with the stock cooler, though I think having 4 sticks of ram might've limited my overclock aswell.
At 1.35v+ the stock cooler just can't dissipate enough heat to keep temps reasonable so I think a hyper212 or some other budget cooler would get you much closer to 4.1ghz.

Another thing you could do is disable smt, that's allows me to overclock to 4.075ghz, depends how much you need the multithread speed vs single core speed though.

This last week I revisited my Oc as it was cold and snowing in Denver.
The ambient room temp was 62-64f
But still couldn't get 41.5 g to pass a Occt stress test at 1.38v with LLC3 with my temp @60c running a corsair h110i.
The cinnabench scores didn't change enough for me to keep pushing the voltage to a unknown point where cpu degradation would start.
So it's at 4.1ghz @1.35625v LLC 3
Soc LLC3 @1.06250v

Reactions: DMAN999
Listing your systems specs will help.
Here is a link to my oc adventure.
You may get some help but don't use my voltages each system no matter if the exact parts or not are Different.

Sorry didnt realize you couldnt see my signature on mobile devices. Heres my specs.

MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B450
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb (overclocked)
MEMORY: HyperX RGB 2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250gb / 500gb WD Blue
PSU: Corsair cx550m
WIN: Windows 10 Pro
Case Cooling: Antec Prizm 3x 120mm rgb case fans with controller and 2 RGB strips / 1 default 120mm case fan

Ty for the info but that info didnt help me much but I did learn some new things!

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

TRENDING THREADS