[SOLVED] Overclocking ryzen and intel processor

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Iam new to overclocking. So anyone who are experts in overclocking pls help me.
I have some questions.if anyone knows the answers help me.
In my house there are two systems one uses ryzen 3600(for common use) and other uses i5 8600k(my own gaming pc)
I want to overclock both.
Que 1.List of all softwares used forboth ryzen and intel overclock(list seperately forintel and ryzen)

Que 2.At which frequency should i start overclocking?
i5 8600k Base/turbo frequency is 3.6/4.3 ghz.
Can i change multiplier to 43 Directly on first step or start it from 37?

Que 3.At which rate I should increase voltage?
0.01 or .02 or 0.05
At which step i should increase voltage?

Que 4.How to check the stability of the overclock(which software and which test,how long)?
if you said prime 95 pls specify the test like small fft or blend

Que 5.While testing overclock stability if voltage is low then monitor will go to black screen.
If we restart the system monitor remains same.
Then how we acess bios?

Que 6. In windows 10 we cant enter bios like windows 7 by just pressing any function key,DEL or Esc.Then how to acess bios if we cant enter into windows 10 if any os error happens because of overclocking?

Que 7.What are the settings to turn off after overclocking?
because turbo clock has no use after overclock.all cores will have same frequency after overclock.
should i turn off turbo clock?
pls specify other settings also.

pls answer all questions.I have read lot of guides.Iam confused more.That's why iam asking this questions.

Solution
if we check the stability of the system and system shows any error like black screen Then can we increase core voltage or decrease the frequency?
What is mean by extreme overclocking?
i5 8600k to 5.0Ghz is extreme overclocking or not?
Further you OC over natural boost frequency, closer to extreme you get. Voltage over recommended and temperatures close to maximum throttling temps also bring you toward extreme OC. As all systems even CPUs are different, degree of OC is also different. Action to take if instability occurs are same as during initial OC, bring everything back by one step and test again.
Iam new to overclocking. So anyone who are experts in overclocking pls help me.
I have some questions.if anyone knows the answers help me.
In my house there are two systems one uses ryzen 3600(for common use) and other uses i5 8600k(my own gaming pc)
I want to overclock both.
Que 1.List of all softwares used forboth ryzen and intel overclock(list seperately forintel and ryzen)

Que 2.At which frequency should i start overclocking?
i5 8600k Base/turbo frequency is 3.6/4.3 ghz.
Can i change multiplier to 43 Directly on first step or start it from 37?

Que 3.At which rate I should increase voltage?
0.01 or .02 or 0.05
At which step i should increase voltage?

Que 4.How to check the stability of the overclock(which software and which test,how long)?
if you said prime 95 pls specify the test like small fft or blend

Que 5.While testing overclock stability if voltage is low then monitor will go to black screen.
If we restart the system monitor remains same.
Then how we acess bios?

Que 6. In windows 10 we cant enter bios like windows 7 by just pressing any function key,DEL or Esc.Then how to acess bios if we cant enter into windows 10 if any os error happens because of overclocking?

Que 7.What are the settings to turn off after overclocking?
because turbo clock has no use after overclock.all cores will have same frequency after overclock.
should i turn off turbo clock?
pls specify other settings also.

pls answer all questions.I have read lot of guides.Iam confused more.That's why iam asking this questions.
Basic OC is same on all processors, raise multiplier and give it appropriate voltage but before that make sure you have good enough cooling and that usually means an aftermarket cooler.

OC is a process not just a setting.
In all cases, start by one step above base frequency, test for stability and temperatures, repeat to next step and so one until stability is compromised and ad some small amount of voltage Rinse and repeat until you loose stability and/or temperatures are not acceptable. Go back one step.

1. I don't advocate using 3rd party software to Overclock. Use your Bios.
Good software to use in conjunction with Overclocking are :
CPUz. AIDA64. HWinfo64.

2. 200MHz jumps in frequency then stress test. Do not go to 4.3GHz in one go.

3. If Overclock is unsuccessful and requires a voltage increase then 0 .01v steps is advised until stable.

4. I use AIDA64 for stress testing. Test the FPU. CPU and Cache for 10mins, I consider P95 too harsh and will not indicate where the problem is if a worker stops, AIDA64 will also test your GPU and RAM.

5. Clear CMOS to get back to default.

6. Spamming the DELETE key after POST normally gets you to Bios flash screen or try the F8 key if you have issues.

7.For a decent Overclock, Learn your Bios.
I prefer to have all cores Overclocked instead of any turbo boost condition.
Turn off c states or any tree hugging settings designed to save power.

You can try at Overclocker.net for other specific Bios settings. DON'T change any settings in Bios without knowing the consequence and be particularly careful with Voltages.

Last edited:
Reactions: nawabkhan_u

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Should i test overclock stability for every 6 months?

I asked this question because my friend have a pc that is overclocked correctly by a pc techinician.Nearly after 6 months his pc shut down suddenly and didnt turn on.He called the technician and he reset the bios.And said that pc is not stable.we should increase overclock voltage and he overclocked by increasing core voltage.

does overclock settings changes with time?

Ralston18

Titan
No.

A system that is having problems due to overclocking will not be fixed by more overclocking or increasing core voltages.

You have to determine the cause of the shutdown. Reliability History or Event Viewer may have captured some error code or warning.

My thoughts are more basic.

Could be that the case just needs to be opened and cleaned of dust and debris.

Inspect for signs of damage and overheating.

Reseat all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

If he is a heavy gamer and the PSU is no longer up to meeting the system's power demands there will be continuing and intermittent problems.

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
You said that overclocking settings wont change with time.That means overclock will be stable until the processor lifespan.
no need to increase core voltage if overclock is unstable after years.
Using high end cooler and good powersupply pc user can increase the performance .
Then why most people dont overclock pc?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Every 6 months is a bit excessive unless your overclock was just borderline stable or your using a fairly low quality motherboard

I ran a 4790K for 6 years clocked it to 5.0 the first day I got it. Over that amount of time It became unstable 2 times the first I left the voltage and lowered to speed to 4.8 the 2nd time I increased the voltage by 0.02

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
does overclocking settings remains same until the processor life span?
Main problem of overclocking is the increased heat because of increased voltage.
Because of that processor life span decreases.
Should we test the overclocking stability after some time(after 1 year or more) even after the first proper overclocking with a high end cooler?
if overclocking is not stable can we increwase core voltage or frequency to get overclock stable?

does overclocking settings remains same until the processor life span?
Main problem of overclocking is the increased heat because of increased voltage.
Because of that processor life span decreases.
Should we test the overclocking stability after some time(after 1 year or more) even after the first proper overclocking with a high end cooler?
if overclocking is not stable can we increwase core voltage or frequency to get overclock stable?
Only extreme OC with extreme voltages and temperatures can do any damage or performance loss but OS can deteriorate after a while and give loss of performance. If there are any stability problems you will certainly notice even at normal use, if and when that happens feel free to run tests otherwise they just put unneeded strain on system.

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Only extreme OC with extreme voltages and temperatures can do any damage or performance loss but OS can deteriorate after a while and give loss of performance. If there are any stability problems you will certainly notice even at normal use, if and when that happens feel free to run tests otherwise they just put unneeded strain on system.
if we check the stability of the system and system shows any error like black screen Then can we increase core voltage or decrease the frequency?

Further you OC over natural boost frequency, closer to extreme you get. Voltage over recommended and temperatures close to maximum throttling temps also bring you toward extreme OC. As all systems even CPUs are different, degree of OC is also different. Action to take if instability occurs are same as during initial OC, bring everything back by one step and test again.

Solution