Overclocking Settings on AMD A10-6800K

Josh Fazio

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Hi! I'm pretty new to overclocking as I've been running stock settings for 2 years now on my A10, and I've started to see a performance drop that is expected of a computer this age. I was just wondering if I could overclock it to push it a bit further before I build a new one.
Specs:

• AMD A10-6800K @ 4.1 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H
    2 Sticks of 4GB G-Skil Ares Ram (DDR3 @ 844MHz)
    Stock Fans and everything, just cleaned it so it runs pretty cool
I'd like to not have to replace anything, although I understand the fan will most likely have to be replaced if I want to overclock it.

Solution
Yeah, the next computer I'm going to build is going to have an aftermarket cooler and discrete card, but when I built this I was on quite a budget. I'm just looking for a small boost in performance.

Small boost? What performance is lacking? Gaming? Drive access speed?
If gaming, the discrete card is the only way to go.
If drive access time, then you need a SSD.
Or, you may just have a bloatware, adware, computer full of registry errors, junk files, and software conflicts. Try running CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry portions both. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

joesavy86

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Just remember overclocking you CPU will shorten the life, especially on substandard cooling.
An SSD will give the most notable overall performance bump.
Things which would require the Hard drive to spin (load time) are accessed almost instantly with any SSD.
Just my opinion.

Josh Fazio

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Yeah, the next computer I'm going to build is going to have an aftermarket cooler and discrete card, but when I built this I was on quite a budget. I'm just looking for a small boost in performance.

I have 2 (older) HDDs in Raid 0 as storage and then another (old) HDD as my boot drive, but I do think that would help quite a bit. If I were to OC the CPU/APU, could I have it so that it wouldn't shorten the life? I'm not that worried, but if there ways to do it (not OCing it that much) that won't increase temps too much then I'd like to do that,.

joesavy86

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
The SSD will help ALOTT.
Raid 0 does not even compare in terms of speed.

Raising the APU temperature will invariably shorten its lifespan.
But a small OC shouldn't do too much.
Start with very small increases and work your way up.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Small boost? What performance is lacking? Gaming? Drive access speed?
If gaming, the discrete card is the only way to go.
If drive access time, then you need a SSD.
Or, you may just have a bloatware, adware, computer full of registry errors, junk files, and software conflicts. Try running CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry portions both. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Solution

Josh Fazio

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Mostly drive access time I think. I've been using Unity3D and Blender a lot recently and compared to the performance I saw months ago it seems a lot slower, but it might just be me.

Josh Fazio

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Yeah... I'm not ready to get a new computer yet, but the next one I build is going to have a discrete card and ssd's for days.