Overclocking software

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
What can i use to overclock my xfx 5850? I tried atitools but when i run it i get: "the kernel mode does not seem to be running". after some research i found out it doesn't work on vista/w7 because of signature issues. so what are some other possibilities that will overclock it more than ati overdrive?

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Well ive download afterburner in the past and it wasn't working until i did further research yesterday and found out that i have to change the config file to allow overclocking of non msi products. I got it to 850/1200 no problems, but still couldnt get voltage control to work...i changed these settings in the config files:

UnlockVoltageControl = 1
UnlockVoltageMonitoring = 1
EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1

this is the specific card i have 5850

I would use Afterburner regardless just for the fan curve. Afterburner is basically the same as Riva, it was aslo developed by the same person as well. Your XFX 5850 does not have voltage control even after editing the config file, if you want voltage control you will have to flash to a 5870 Bios which is not recommended unless you have already done this before.

I've never actually used Afterburner. I like Rivatuner because it's both good at overclocking/fan control and excellent for tracking temps/cpu/gpu/ram usage and can even put that info onscreen ingame including frames per second like fraps. Did he include that stuff in Afterburner?

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Well now i got to 825/1175 and its stable (tested with atitools). When i bump it up to 850/1200 i start getting a lot of error in atitools when i test for artifacts. Is this because the voltage is set too low? Is there no way at all to change it unless i flash the bois?

Of course it has in game monitoring ;) , look at the top left hand corner :

Crysis2010-04-2404-31-51-98-1.jpg

Has temp, fan speed and FPS, you can add usage/core/mem also but I don't bother with those (in-game).

Can someone please tell me how to change the files in Afterburner. Im using W7 64 bit and when i try and save the file back to the folder it tells me Access is denied ??
Im new to W7 and i guess its a security setting somewhere. I tried right clicking and running as administrator but still the same thing.

I really really want my 4770 back up to its old XP clocks.

Mactronix

That's due to the lame file permissions in Win7. You can right click on the file and go to properties then security. Click the advanced tab to get to the permissions. Or better yet go to My Computer and right click on the drive instead, and set the permissions for the entire drive so you never have to deal with it again.

54c idle is way off, something is not right. Even in high ambient scenarios you should not see the gpu go over 50c @ idle unless your card is not downclocking in 2d mode.

400/1125 in 2d means your driver is not letting the card down-clock to its original state of 157/300. That is the reason you have high idle temps.

This is primarily the reason i had to revert back to 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 are not working for me at all.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
O i see, when i bought it and installed it the lasted one was 10.5, then i upgraded to 10.6. Is it a big deal if its hovering around there or should i look into reverting to 10.4? Will i suffer anything by this?

10.4 is working great for me and I play around 4 different games.

I updated to 10.4 when it came out, was working fine.. Then 10.5 came out and it wouldn't down clock in 2d so I reverted back to 10.4..Then 10.6 came out and it was even worse because it would crash my games to desktop every now n then so I reverted back to 10.4 for the second time and everything went back to normal.

Will i suffer anything by this?

nope ;)