[SOLVED] Overclocking Strix RTX 2080s Advanced Edition with MSI Afterburner

Mar 22, 2020
Good morning guys !
Hope all are safe in these unprecedented times.

So long story short, my first OC experience went bad. Fried my motherboard (according to the pc shop it was defective, so might not be my fault, since it was a very slight overclock anyways).

Sow now I'm ready to try again with a brand new mobo. Here is a list of my pc specs :

I 9900k (stock)
ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Advanced Edition
DDR4 Trident Z RGB 3200 - c16
Gigabyte Aorus z390 pro gaming wifi
1TB WD Black NvMe SSD
Fractal S36 cpu water cooling
Fractal Meshify s2 case
Corsair AX850 power supply
Dell s2719DGF 1440p 155hz 1ms gaming monitor

I wish to overclock the GPU with MSI afterburner to gain fps gains, without killing another component.
I watched many videos, and as stated I'm a beginner but I learn very quickly. I'm confident to be able to find the sweet spot for Core cock / Memory clock.

I'm still hesitant towards Core Voltage / Power Limit.

1. Should I drag the power limit to 125% ? Linked temperature limit goes to 84c. Any risks involved ?

2. Should I even mess with voltage ? Or leave it as it is, play with Power Limit / Core clock / Memory Clock only ?

Many thanks !

Solution
OC in stages. Baby steps.
Start at default settings. Bump clocks in increments up until testing shows errors. Return to default. Bump memory up the same, in stages.

Set both clocks and memory 1-2 steps below the error. Then bump up power limit until stable. If you hit power limits and no stability, take both clocks and memory down another step, starting power limit at @ 112-115%.

Don't bother touching the voltage until you get the best clocks and memory you can. Then, more often as not, it's usually to undervolt slightly.
Good morning guys !
Hope all are safe in these unprecedented times.

So long story short, my first OC experience went bad. Fried my motherboard (according to the pc shop it was defective, so might not be my fault, since it was a very slight overclock anyways).

Sow now I'm ready to try again with a brand new mobo. Here is a list of my pc specs :

I 9900k (stock)
ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Advanced Edition
DDR4 Trident Z RGB 3200 - c16
Gigabyte Aorus z390 pro gaming wifi
1TB WD Black NvMe SSD
Fractal S36 cpu water cooling
Fractal Meshify s2 case
Corsair AX850 power supply
Dell s2719DGF 1440p 155hz 1ms gaming monitor

I wish to overclock the GPU with MSI afterburner to gain fps gains, without killing another component.
I watched many videos, and as stated I'm a beginner but I learn very quickly. I'm confident to be able to find the sweet spot for Core cock / Memory clock.

I'm still hesitant towards Core Voltage / Power Limit.

1. Should I drag the power limit to 125% ? Linked temperature limit goes to 84c. Any risks involved ?

2. Should I even mess with voltage ? Or leave it as it is, play with Power Limit / Core clock / Memory Clock only ?

Many thanks !
You can max voltage and power limit safely as its hardware locked. That's what I did on my 2080Ti 2100Mhz core 2020Mhz MEM. You need to flash your GPU bios for higher power limit and physically mod the card for higher voltage. I will only flash my gpu when my warranty ends. Just try to keep your temps <80C. The lower the faster because that's how nvidia boost works, my card starts dropping slowly after 40C.

Edit: Your motherboard was defective because safe voltage doesn't damage anything.

Reactions: Americonts
Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more.
Your card is one of those factory overclocked cards.
You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.

If you just want to experiment, fine. Be aware of the risks for potential damage.

I suggest you just enjoy a very top end setup.
How much more do you really need?

If you need more performance, then buy a higher tier card in the first place.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/215545/asus-rtx2080super-8192-190709-2
If that is your gpu, then you may not have much headroom to play with.

These gpus are also temperature sensitive, so if you're looking to push the card a little more, then keep in mind that you will have to run more aggressive fan curves.
If your gpu already runs fairly warm, those temps will defeat most additional overclocks on your already factory overclocked gpu.

I played around with my gpu's settings last week, and I can tell you:
-leave the voltage slider alone. It's worse.
-There's way more headroom for memory clock than there is for core clock. For me, it's like a 5 to 1. For you, it's more like 9 to 1.

Reactions: Zizo007

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
OC in stages. Baby steps.
Start at default settings. Bump clocks in increments up until testing shows errors. Return to default. Bump memory up the same, in stages.

Set both clocks and memory 1-2 steps below the error. Then bump up power limit until stable. If you hit power limits and no stability, take both clocks and memory down another step, starting power limit at @ 112-115%.

Don't bother touching the voltage until you get the best clocks and memory you can. Then, more often as not, it's usually to undervolt slightly.

Solution