[SOLVED] Overclocking - System unstable - plz help!

Feb 6, 2019
Hello there!

So, i got myself a new System with the following specs:

Asus ROG Maximus Hero XI
Intel I9 9900k
32 GB-Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (4 x 8 GB)
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080ti

When i played Battlefield 5 on Ultra, DX12, FutureFrameRendering=OFF on 1440p, i got around 100-144+ fps - depending on the map (MP - 64 players). Sometimes on maps like Narvik i have around 115 and it drops to 99 fps. I thought i could increase that via Overclocking as i saw some benchmarks with OC hardware. (I´m a newbie and this was very stupid of mine)

So read some stuff about my motherboard and found out about the "AI Overclocking"

I went to BIOS and updated it to version 0805 firstly. Then i put the XMP I proflie on, and then i activated unter "CPU Core Ratio" -"AI Optimized".

This is where it all started. Then my games randomly crashed back to desktop with no error message. Then i got a bluescreen with the message "system thread exception not handled".

So I thought this is all happened due Overclocking and maybe the new BIOS version. So i went back to BIOS 0702, which ran stable. And i also set everything back to factory default.

BUT still the games crash back to desktop now and i got a bluescreen.

Could someone help me, did i do something wrong with setting it back to factory defaults? (in Bios i pressed "load optimized defaults")

Or do i need a CMOS Reset to totally wipe all OC settings off the Mobo?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Solution

Hello,

Battlefield 5 is a really good game to test if your OCed system is stable. If your game crashed to desktop, it's not the game, it's you, hehe. :)

- Update your latest Bios - it's not the bios version, that is causing you the problems, so make sure you're up to date with that.
- Reset Bios to default settings, and enable ram's XMP...

Gaidax

Distinguished
First of all never use any sort of AI overclocking or automatic overclocking or any other shit like that - they all genuinely suck. As a matter of fact, I'd avoid overclocking at all unless you know what you are doing.

Secondly, load optimised defaults should work, but if you still have issue go ahead and reset with CMOS.

Is your cooling fine? Maybe you have some temperature issues. Get HWMonitor running and track core temperature.

Feb 6, 2019

Thank you for your answer! Well, so yesterday i did a CMOS Reset and now everything is stable again and the BIOS is on default too. Thank you! I will never touch that option again. (I have an corsair liquid cooling system installed and get normaly temps on max around 63 degrees while playing BFV)

I upgraded to BIOS 0805 again. Now i got a new feature which is called "Multicore Enhancemend". On default its on AUTO, which says ASUS optimizes the CPU somehow. Could you tell me if i should just leave it on default auto or should i change anything?

Thank you again for your help!

Feb 6, 2019

Hello! Thank you for your answer!

Well i reset CMOS yersterday and i´ll go with stock settings again, because i just have no know-how about OC a system. I think that´s better for me. :x

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

Hello,

Battlefield 5 is a really good game to test if your OCed system is stable. If your game crashed to desktop, it's not the game, it's you, hehe. :)

- Update your latest Bios - it's not the bios version, that is causing you the problems, so make sure you're up to date with that.
- Reset Bios to default settings, and enable ram's XMP profile only and start playing again. Go through about x2 'Grand Operations' modes (6 days) in a row, if the game didn't crash, it's all good and you can start reading / educating yourself before going to a OCed journey.
- If it crash - you probably have a defective hardware, so you need to know first whether it's your RAM or not.

Test it like this: Bios defaults, only XMP enabled. Run memtest86, latest version here: https://www.memtest86.com/

Go through the whole testing process, don't stop it. With 32GB ram it will take about 5 hours, so better run it overnight.

Get back to me when you do the above.

Solution