Overclocking technique

G

What do you guys think of my technique? Too harsh?

Graphics card is 560 ti
Core clock= 880mhz
Memory clock= 4200mhz

My goal=1ghz core clock
My technique
1. set voltage to max(1150mv)
2. set core clock to 1000ghz
3. furmark extreme burn in until max temp
4. if it crashes decrease decrease core clock by 10mhz
if it reaches 80+temp decrease voltage
5. redo steps 3-5.

I read somewhere that at most you don't want to increase speed by more than 30-50mhz at a time. But I jumped to 1 ghz. Is that ok to do?

Solution
I been using the Asus 900Mhz models.....7 outta the 8 I built with went to 1000 w/o having to bump up from stock voltages. The 8th req'd just one notch bump. I use OCCT GPU test for 1st round of testing. I'm quite happy with 82C which is max temp I ever seen on 560's in SLI.

So I go the other way.....I start at stock voltage and go up......1st at factory OC'd 900Mhz....then 920... 940.... 960 ... 980 .... 1000

One reason I do this is the cards seem to do better after a burn in period..... several heat up / cool down cycles prolly helps cure the thermal compound also.
I been using the Asus 900Mhz models.....7 outta the 8 I built with went to 1000 w/o having to bump up from stock voltages. The 8th req'd just one notch bump. I use OCCT GPU test for 1st round of testing. I'm quite happy with 82C which is max temp I ever seen on 560's in SLI.

So I go the other way.....I start at stock voltage and go up......1st at factory OC'd 900Mhz....then 920... 940.... 960 ... 980 .... 1000

One reason I do this is the cards seem to do better after a burn in period..... several heat up / cool down cycles prolly helps cure the thermal compound also.

Solution

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
You’re doing it the dangerous way.

Generally you start with your stock Voltage and clock speeds and step them up as needed SLOWLY.

1. Up mhz by 30-50 if stable do again.
2. If unstable up voltage VERY SLIGHTLY until stable.
3. if temp is ok start at 1 again

you may not succeed in getting to 1ghz core but if your not carefull you will succeed in creating an expensive paperweight.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
MSI 580 Extreme card

Clock 1000

Voltage factory controlled.

Memory clock 2200 (For now)

Temp 60F in BF3.

I have some antec big boy fans coming in to replace my HAF X fans to chill the system down further before trying any more oc.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
@x Heavy---> What does your post have to do with the answer to the posters question? Nothing, thats right...Looks like you spent a lot of money on your card congratulation for you

@bear95--->use JackNaylorPE or HogoStiglitz' advice on this one

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Shove it Lowjack, As many different kinds of video cards can be overclocked using different techniques be they simple or difficult.

Start by reading Overclocker's dot net.

You must have started out as Hall Monitor back in school.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
When I OC my video card I found the max "stock" OC a company put on the card and started from there and went up gradually till I found it to be unstable than backed off a bit. Stress testing it every step of the way of course.

Chirag Borawake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

I agree with you, because actually you dont need that much of voltage to be provided to your Graphics card.
If you can increase 30-50mhz without increase in voltage, then why not? Its logical.
Finally it will end up by getting too hot, or extra voltage may damage your GPU, and you'll have no other option except to use it as a paperweight..!
Sometimes excitement kills your thinking power, and you end up achieving literally 'NOTHING'..!!

G

Lolz, alright. I think I've been abusing my graphics card this whole time. :p. I'll try increasing slowly this time. I guess I was cutting corners too much.