Question Overclocking the 8700k on an Asrock z390 phantom gaming 6

ChunkyCheese

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Currently have my 8700k overclocked to 4.6 ghz with no voltage adjustments but it’s been a little while so I know everything is working and have now decided I’d like to push the cpu to 4.8 does anyone know a good voltage settings for 4.8ghz. Or is it even possible that I won’t have to touch the voltage?

Digicats

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Did you just set the multiplier to x46 and save it with everything else on auto? You're going to need to do a lot of reading before you start adjusting voltages.

Intel Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide – GND-Tech

Intel Temperature Guide | Tom's Hardware Forum

I'm not sure how that board handles voltages but I suggest you read up otherwise you might damage your cpu or other components. High voltages kills chips and every CPU is different as are the motherboards. You might have a chip that can run 4.8ghz on 1.24v but you're going to have to do a lot of testing to figure that out.

If you want to just try 4.8ghz with a manual vcore and everything else auto start at 1.35v and see where it goes. You need good cooling. Air, AIO or custom loop it needs to be able to keep your CPU under 80c sustained at full load ideally during your stress testing. Generally everything above 1.25v and it starts getting exponentially hotter.

Again, third time, read up before you start messing with settings.

ChunkyCheese

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Did you just set the multiplier to x46 and save it with everything else on auto? You're going to need to do a lot of reading before you start adjusting voltages.

Intel Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide – GND-Tech

Intel Temperature Guide | Tom's Hardware Forum

I'm not sure how that board handles voltages but I suggest you read up otherwise you might damage your cpu or other components. High voltages kills chips and every CPU is different as are the motherboards. You might have a chip that can run 4.8ghz on 1.24v but you're going to have to do a lot of testing to figure that out.

If you want to just try 4.8ghz with a manual vcore and everything else auto start at 1.35v and see where it goes. You need good cooling. Air, AIO or custom loop it needs to be able to keep your CPU under 80c sustained at full load ideally during your stress testing. Generally everything above 1.25v and it starts getting exponentially hotter.

Again, third time, read up before you start messing with settings.
Ok thank you for the help, got the chip to 4.8 yesterday but it was thermal throttling with load on so I went down to 4.7 and got the chip stable @1.32volts with temps around 60-70c. I was just a little worried about overclocking this chip because the last 8700k and asrock z390 mobo I had had to be Rma because of bsod that occurred within seconds of turning on my computer and no trouble shooting fixed it, so I was never able to tell if the mobo was just bad or I killed the chip somehow overclocking w/out touching voltages on it since I know some mobos can fry chips if you set the voltage to a pre set in the auto overclock settings.