Overclocking the AMD FX-8320E to 4.0-4.1ghz on a Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 mobo without under clocked, clock speeds underload

Jackal7618

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Hi, I'm trying to overclock my AMD FX-8320E(It's being liquid cooled by a Hydro Series H50) on a M5A78L-M/USB3 mobo (with that not so eye pleasing bios) I'm also trying to run everything at stock(voltages etc.) but just bump the clock speed to 4.0-4.1ghz and have it stay there instead of under clocking itself under load I did turn off cool n quiet and disabled amd turbo boost in the bios it stays at 4.0ghz(not sure about 4.1ghz) idle but if any load is put on it, it under clocks. I ended up resetting back to defaults frustrated with nothing to show for after hours of googling.

Solution

cool and quiet lowers CPU clock speed and voltage when the CPU is idle lowering the heat and the power draw
disable it and you run at 4.0 Ghz all the time
The problem with these power features is that they are not smart enough to decide which core is idle and which is half load or full load , leading to lowering the important cores sometimes ..
Also they think your max clock is your tubro which in your case is 4.0 Ghz (on 2 cores I think - rest...

Jackal7618

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

Hi, hm my case has about 5 fans 1 being the liquid cooler on the cpu also some of those settings I can't really find the first two I could find. Maybe they're called something else?

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

To be honest I do not know much about M5A78L-M/USB3 bios I guess these options are only in the 900 chipset motherboard --- You could go into the APM to see what is inside .
Update to bios 2101 , may help .

Jackal7618

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

Oddly enough the mobo came stock with the lastest build 2101 I'll check it out, thanks.

Georgx

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Do not disable cool and quiet. Then your cpu will always run at max speed, even when it is now used. My 8320 is at 4.7 ghz, sabertooth r2.0, and I have it enabled. It has never messed up with my oc.

Jackal7618

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

Thanks for looking that up for me ZEN and I'd like to hear ZEN's input on this.

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

cool and quiet lowers CPU clock speed and voltage when the CPU is idle lowering the heat and the power draw
disable it and you run at 4.0 Ghz all the time
The problem with these power features is that they are not smart enough to decide which core is idle and which is half load or full load , leading to lowering the important cores sometimes ..
Also they think your max clock is your tubro which in your case is 4.0 Ghz (on 2 cores I think - rest will be lowered)
so they again down clock some of the cores to allow 2 cores to go to 4.0 and again they may choose the wrong cores to down clock ...
by the way , when doing a CPU stress test , how much the cpu under clocks itself ? screenshot will help

Solution

TRENDING THREADS