Question Overclocking the fx 6300 (stock cooler) is it possible?

Snipplez

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I have an fx 6300 coupled with my rx 570 4gb and I seem to almost get some bottlenecking in some games like Dishonored 2 and Apex Legends when on high graphics so I wanted to see if I could overclock my fx 6300, Ive read a bunch of guides and seen some videos but it seems that they always talk about needing a different cooler than the stock one to oc your cpu. Am I able to overclock my fx 6300 with just the stock cooler and how would I go about doing it? Also if Im needed to buy a new cooler to oc which one might I want to look for? Im just aiming to squeeze any amount of performance I can out of my cpu that I'm not currently getting.

Specs:
Rx 570 4gb Armor Oc
fx 6300
8gb ddr3 corsair vengeance ram
m5a97 le r2.0 motherboard
750 watt corsair power supply 80+ bronze

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The reason why they often state not using the stock cooler is because the stock cooler isn't sufficient to keep the processor cool when overclocked. Theoretically speaking if you had thermal headroom, you could use any cooler, but the FX stock coolers were pretty bad, so you'll need an aftermarket cooler.

Pair that up with the fact that the max temp for a FX6300 is usually around 65/70 degrees, you need even better cooling equipment.
Put it this way, any performance you'd be able to get out of the FX6300 being overclocked with a stock cooler, won't be performance with any noticeable improvement.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I have an fx 6300 coupled with my rx 570 4gb and I seem to almost get some bottlenecking in some games like Dishonored 2 and Apex Legends when on high graphics so I wanted to see if I could overclock my fx 6300, Ive read a bunch of guides and seen some videos but it seems that they always talk about needing a different cooler than the stock one to oc your cpu. Am I able to overclock my fx 6300 with just the stock cooler and how would I go about doing it? Also if Im needed to buy a new cooler to oc which one might I want to look for? Im just aiming to squeeze any amount of performance I can out of my cpu that I'm not currently getting.

Specs:
Rx 570 4gb Armor Oc
fx 6300
8gb ddr3 corsair vengeance ram
m5a97 le r2.0 motherboard
750 watt corsair power supply 80+ bronze

On a stock cooler you could probably get 3.7-3.8 ghz before temps under load get really bad. Replacing the cooler with something like a $27 Evo and you can go 4.0-4.2ghz before your motherboards VRM's start to reach their limits.

Reactions: hftvhftv

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
On a stock cooler you could probably get 3.7-3.8 ghz before temps under load get really bad. Replacing the cooler with something like a $27 Evo and you can go 4.0-4.2ghz before your motherboards VRM's start to reach their limits.
I'd agree with this, your best bet would be to either upgrade your whole CPU platform, or at least get an FX 8350 or 8320