Overclocking the gpu

imperial7

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
HI, im looking for an advice for oc my gpu,
i have sOme questions:

is necesary to get a high performance cooler to get stability with the gpu with oc?
wich are the risks?
is necessary to get a better motherboard or psu OR something like that??
and how i can do that???
this is my pc:

XFX NVIDIA 9400 GT 1GB DDR2
AMD PHENOM II X 4 920 2.8GHZ
4 GB RAM 800MHZ
MOBO ASROCK N68-S

400 WATTS PSU, I DON T KNOW THE BRAND

Brian_Coffey

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Well first off get something like msi burner to overclock it :) or unless you got a program with your GPU. The risks arent too high if you know what your doing, just go as far as you feel safe and small jumps at a time and test, repeat till your happy :) In regards a power supply :/ it will draw more power form the GPU but generally if the power supply is running the computer smooth you'll have enough left for some small overclocks but you not knowing the brand doesnt sound good and its only 400W and you have a quad core already on it but i'm no expert here now but you should have a small bit of headroom for a small overclock :)

TheTrueGamer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Question 1: Depends on how much you overclock. Generally, anything less than 5% overclock and the stock cooler give will be just fine.

Question 2: System stability is the main risk factor.

Question 3: You don't need a better mobo to OC a GPU. 3rd party software work fine. PSU, maybe, then again how much you OC it.

Question 4: Upgrading a mobo is a pain in the rear. Not suggested for beginners, also keep in mind upgrading a mobo is by Windows definition "a new PC" therefore you'd also have to buy a new Windows Operating System. Upgrading a PSU is much easier, just about getting right cables in right places.