Question Overclocking the i5 4690k. wont go very far

Wetles89

Distinguished
May 1, 2015
Hi.

been playing with my old i5 4690K and ive gotten it stable at 4.3 Ghz at 1.26V.

I want to see if i can get it to 4.5. Been reading about people gettin it to 4.5 at a low 1.2V.

My CPU seems to be craving Vs from another planet! At 1.34V it wont even boot Windows at 4.5Ghz.

I am not to good at this and i dont wont to push to much. If it cant even boot at 1.34V then it must require atleast 1.36-7V to be somewhat stable.

Are those Vs going to push my CPU too much? Yes i know cooling matter alot and i installed my new Corsair h115i pro today with disapointing results.

Right now at 4.3 Ghz idle temp is 45C. I am running all my cores at full 4.3 at all times.

First off - forget about trying to hit what people post online.
People usually don't post failures or mediocre results so you are looking at the top .1%. Also, people online lie [gasp]. Time and time again I have caught video results or posted benches where there's info in the background or shown during a poorly edited video, or gleaned from same user's results posted on other sites, that completely contradict what they tout. Take everything you hear and see with a huge grain of salt.

Secondly, getting back to your overclocking, have you truly tested for stability at your 4.3Ghz/1.26v level? Try running a RealBench stress test, with at least half your memory used, for 30 mins. Does it come through clean without downclocking (monitor with HWiNFO64)?

BY66

Commendable
Sep 19, 2019
I just happen to see you post. Here are my views and information.

I have an i5-3570K myself. Since my new system's been built I have this beloved CPU to play around with overclocking. So I went on to youtube and started gathering others experience. I watched 1 video which shows overclocking an i7-3770 on Asus P8Z77 motherboard. I use the same motherboard so I watched how the overclocking's done. To my amazement, lots need to be done.

It's really more than just playing around with the Ratio and CPU Voltage. If you have an Asus motherboard, watch this video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcOOMqZycHE

There are part 2 and part 3 too.

Another reference is https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-i...dge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards.html

In my case, before watching the video and reading the website, I spent loads of effort adjusting the CLCK/PEG Frequency and CPU Ratio Limit God knows how many times and rebooting the machine. To get to 4.8 was the initial result. But that frequency is not stable because I noted the CPU temperatures under CPU-Z stress test were over 95C. I wasn't even dare to try using AIDA64 which is a very vigorous stress test program.

After watching the video, I followed 100% of what the bloke did in the video and vola! the 3570K managed to get to 4.9GHz. That's the maximum frequency it attained. I tried 5.0GHz almost 10 times, getting BSOD every single time, so I concluded 4.9GHz is all I have got. Since you told us that you're using Corsair H115i Pro, I am telling you that mine is the H60 120mm 2013 verion; 1st generation hydro series AIO. It doesn't come with a Corsair fan, I used EK Furious Vardar FF-5(3000rpm) fan which is a good static pressure fan. At 4.9GHz, the fan runs at 100% sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Even so the CPU never attains 5.0GHz. Some sources say this chip can reach 7.2GHz on liquid hydrogen but who on earth will run a rig with liquid nitrogen on a daily basis?

The fact is that reaching a maximum clock speed is a matter, running at a maximum clock speed without BSOD is another. When I made 4.9GHz, I wasn't happy because I knew very well that that is not the clock speed which runs with stability. The VCore was 1.40, without which I couldn't get that far. CPU LLC has to be set to Extreme, the highest level otherwise, the chip refuses to go up to 4.9GHz. The temperature was so high for the first 30 second,103, 102 degrees.

The overclock-ability as I once read about, is like lottery. It's all about the batch number when you purchased them, you can check on the back of your package. Mine is not a lucky one. The stable clock speed is 4.5GHz with the cores reaching 90C marginally. Actually, it shouldn't exceed 85C.

So with a 240mm H115i Pro, it's not the temp which hinders your chip going up further. Try enable PPL Overvoltage and play around with CPU LLC to control the temperature.

Good luck!

This is my result @ 4.7GHz/1.25V. I am stress testing it with CPU-Z stress program. With your CPU which is one generation higer than mine, you should be able to get the same pretty easily.

Js4FGW.jpg

Last edited:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Wetles89,

No two processors are identical; each is unique in voltage tolerance, thermal behavior and overclocking potential, which is often referred to as the "silicon lottery".

Overclocking is always limited by two factors; voltage and temperature.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.
As Core speed (MHz) is increased, Core voltage (Vcore) automatically increases to maintain stability. However, it is not recommended to overclock using “Auto” settings, as it will apply significantly more Core voltage than necessary to maintain stability, which needlessly increases Power and heat. It is therefore highly recommended to use only "manual" Vcore settings in BIOS. Since overclocked processors with higher Vcore can run more than 50% above rated TDP, high TDP air or liquid cooling is crucial.

Each Microarchitecture has a “Maximum Recommended Vcore”. For example, it’s important to point out that 22 nanometer 3rd and 4th Generation processors will not tolerate the higher Core voltages of other Microarchitectures.

Here's the maximum recommended Core voltage per Microarchitecture from 14 to 65 nanometers since 2006:

kqzjSh4.jpg

We know that over time, excessive voltage and heat damages electronics, so when using manual Vcore settings in BIOS, excessive Core voltage and Core temperature can result in accelerated "Electromigration". Processors have multiple layers of hundreds of millions of microscopic nanometer scale components. Electromigration causes circuit pathways and transistor junctions to undergo premature erosion and performance degradation.

Although your initial overclock may be stable, degradation doesn't appear until later, when increasingly frequent blue-screen crashes indicate a progressive loss of stability. The more excessive the levels of voltage and heat and the longer they're sustained determines how long until transistor degradation destabilizes your overclock. Decreasing overclock and Vcore may temporarily restore stability and slow the rate of degradation. Extreme overvolting can cause degradation in minutes, but a sensible overclock remains stable for years.

Each Microarchitecture has a "Degradation Curve". As a rule, CPU's are more susceptible to electromigration and degradation with each Die-shrink. However, the exception to the rule is Intel's 14 nanometer Microarchitecture, where advances in FinFET transistor technology have improved voltage tolerance.

Here's how the Degradation Curve on 22 nanometer 3rd and 4th Generation differs from 14 nanometer 5th through 9th Generation:

iQuLSzu.jpg

Degradation Curves are relative to the term “Vt (Voltage threshold) Shift” which is expressed in millivolts (mv). Users can not monitor Vt Shift. With respect to overclocking, Vt Shift basically represents the potential for permanent loss of normal transistor performance. Excessively high Core voltage drives excessively high Power consumption resulting in higher Core temperatures during heavy workloads, all of which contribute to gradual Vt Shift over time. Core voltages that impose high Vt Shift values are not recommended.

When tweaking your processor near its highest overclock, keep in mind that for an increase of 100 MHz, a corresponding increase in Core voltage of about 50 millivolts (0.050) is needed to maintain stability. If 70 millivolts (0.070) or more is needed for the next stable 100 MHz increase, it means your processor is overclocked beyond its capability.

With high-end cooling you might reach the Vcore limit before 85°C. With low-end cooling you’ll reach 85°C before the Vcore limit. Regardless, whichever limit you reach first is where you should stop. Thermal testing is explained in Sections 10 through 12.

Remember to keep overclocking in perspective. For example, the difference between 4.5 GHz and 4.6 Ghz is less than 2.3%, which has no noticeable impact on overall system performance. It simply isn’t worth pushing your processor beyond recommended Core voltage and Core temperature limits just to squeeze out another 100 MHz.

CPU Overclocking Guide and Tutorial for Beginners - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

CT :sol: