Overclocking the Pentium D945 on the MSI G41M-P33 Combo possible?

TheSwedishGeek03

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
I will maybe buy this MB and cpu and I really wan't to know if you can overclock the cpu with this motherboard. I know that it is possible to overclock the cpu but I don't really know with the motherboard.

Solution
Yes you will be best off looking for a used one. Just make sure that the seller has a no DOA clause and then test it as soon as you get it because usually the return period is fairly short. Yes get that motherboard (as long as it is cheap) then you can overclock it (or your current cpu) and get a really nice free performance boost.
That cpu never overclocked well. And it is getting close to a decade old. If you want to use it for modern computing don't bother, most smart phones have way more cpu power than this.. Yes the motherboard supports overclocking. The only type of cpu I would consider running in it in a Core 2 Quad 45nm.. That pentium D is based on the Pentium 4 so it is slow.

TheSwedishGeek03

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

It's like $29 for the cpu so I think I will go with that. I think It's good for my work. Just playing Minecraft, right now I got a Celeron E1400 in my Acer Aspire M1641 with the MBSAK09007 motherboard and the MSI G41M-P33 Combo is around $74, do you think it's worth it? With an Asus Radeon HD 5450 Silent 1GB

Your current Celeron E1400 is a dual core 2Ghz based on first gen i Core duo chips and is just as fast if not faster in some things than a pentium d 945. http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/279/Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_E1400_vs_Intel_Pentium_D_945.html Maybe just get a better cpu for your current system as it supports way better cpu's than your current one. It supports pretty much any LGA-775 cpu but a Core 2 Quad would be the best if you can find one cheap it will get you 2-3X cpu performance easily.

TheSwedishGeek03

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

The thing is that my current MB does only have 1 PCIe x16 slot. I just want another one so I can get two Radeon cards in crossfire. When I lan minecraft it is hard for my friend, I think it is about the number of cores, right? Should I get a Core 2 Quad if I find one cheap? Budget by the way is $50 for the cpu. And I need two system fans to, there are 2 on the MSI G41-P33 Combo.

I would not bother trying to crossfire any cards that old AMD had some big issues with those cards and crossfire. Better to get a one better gpu than mess with an ancient crossfire configuration even though minecraft is really easy on the gpu. The core 2 quad would be a huge upgrade if you can find one for cheap. Oh and minecraft is more cpu intensive so the cpu upgrade would help you the most and minecraft does not support crossfire anyways.. Minecraft does support multicore cpus IIRC.

TheSwedishGeek03

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

Ok. Do you think that I should get one used because there aren't that many new ones for a price below the better once that we have today as the 4:th gen intel cpus. And I'm very sure that I will buy the MSI G41M-P33 Combo to the cpu if I will find one cheap.

Yes you will be best off looking for a used one. Just make sure that the seller has a no DOA clause and then test it as soon as you get it because usually the return period is fairly short. Yes get that motherboard (as long as it is cheap) then you can overclock it (or your current cpu) and get a really nice free performance boost.

Solution

TheSwedishGeek03

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

Awesome! Thanks!