Overclocking the X2 4200+ Toledo

Norbreck21a

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
HI guys. Could some kind soul give me a heads up on overclocking my stock system fitted with an X2 4200+ Toledo Core for a Socket 939. Yes I know it's an old system, but I just wanted to wring a little more juice out of it before upgrading.

Basically, my system consists of the following:

Above processor - X2 4200+ Socket 939 Toledo

Motherboard - ECS KV2 Extreme V1.0 with Bios 1.3D

AGP Card - ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series - 512MB (AGP x 8)

Memory - 2 sticks of Corsair 512MB PC3200 (200mhz) & 2 sticks of Nanya PC3200 (200mhz).

According to CPU-Z, My current memory timings are (it this means anything to anyone):

DRAM Frequency - 157.1 Mhz
FSB: DRAM 1/4
CAS 2.5 clocks
Ras to Cas 3 clocks
Ras Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (tRas) 7 clocks
tRC 10 clocks
CR 2T
Dram Idle Timer 16 clocks

I've had a quick poke around in the KV2's Bios, and the only thing that I can see related to OC is in the "Frequency/Voltage Control" section. This has options for:
DIMM Voltage Adjust
AGP Voltage Regulator
Auto Detect PCI Clk
Spread Spectrum
Async AGP Clock Control
Hammer Fid Control
Hammer Vid Control
CPU Clock

There is a seperate section under "Advanced Chipset Features" that has a sub menu for "DRAM Clock/Drive Control", and this has the following sub menus:
Max Memclock (Mhz) - currently set to Auto
1T/2T memory Timings - currently set to Auto
CAS# latency (Tcl)- Currently set to Auto
RAS to CAS delay (Trcd) - Auto
Min RAS# active time (Tras) - Auto
Row Precharge Time (Trp) - Auto

As you have all probably gathered by now, I am a complete newby having never OC a PC in my life.

Oh, nealry forgot, my CPU currently has an Artic Cooler Freezer Pro 64 installed. At my default speeds, when I run the CPU at full tilt (100% usage) for an hour or so (Video Rendering) - the temperature (as reported by CPUID Hardware Monitor) maxes out at approx 50°C

Chers Andrew

Very first thing, go into your BIOS and write down ALL OF THE SETTINGS.
Read your manual, find the CMOS reset button or jumper, and learn how to use it.

Your memory is running underspeed, it should be running at 200mhz.
However, for overclocking purposes, it is probably right where you want it.
As you start raising the FSB to your processor, you are going to affect the memory speed as well. Memory is sensitive and will not stand much overclocking, so you actually want to start with your memory running underspeed a little.
Find the FSB setting for your processor, and turn off the "auto" setting.
Start out by raising the FSB to around 210 (it should be at 200 stock)
Download CPUz so you can check your results after you boot to Windows.
If it boots fine, then you can start raising the buss speed slowly, to 211, 212, 213 ect. till you start having problems, or no boot. If you do get a no boot, back the speed off a little. For instance, if it booted at 213 and not 214, put it at 212 for now just to be safe.
If you get a no-boot, you will have to reset the CMOS, and start all over.
You should be able to pretty easily get 200-400mhz more out of it by simply raising the FSB speed.
I have to head out to work, but start with this. It will get you going.
If you want to really tweak things up, I'll be home later tonight.

There just happens to be an entire article right now at the top let of Tom's main page that tells how to overclock AMD processors!
I would certainly give that a good read.