Overclocking vid card

bagguns

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I have just read the guide here on overclocking your videocard and I have some questions. Keep in mind I know pretty much nothing about overclocking.
My system specs: Intel E8500, P45 Platinum, 4Gb-800Mhz, HD4870 1Gb
1. How safe is it to overclock your videocard in the ways described in the guide here?
2. Will adjusting the PCIe frequency have any noticable affect?
3. If I know nothing about this should I be doing this?
4. Any tips/adivice you could give me?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
1. If you do incremental overclocking it's fairly safe, as you'll more likely detect problems before it can be damage your video card.

2. You'll see slight increase in performance, too small to make a difference compared to the risk of corrupting your hard drive.

3. Even if you don't know anything, you can still learn. It's pretty easy to do a moderate overclock.

4. The best tip, is to do small increases and test thoroughly before declaring that it is stable. Memory overclock gives the least performance, but has the greatest risk, do memory carefully.

jdigital1983

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
dont change you pci-e frequency.thats a no no. any higher than 100mhz and you will fry your card or cards.overclocking a gpu is very easy.first what card are you trying to overclock?second.find out the specs on that card (core mhz,shader mhz, and mem mhz.) find a program like rivatuner or precision to do the overclock. also download ati tools to test stability of your overclock. once you have both programs and specs of your card. rule of thumb for a safe oc is 9 times out of 10 there is a overclocked version of your card made by the manufacturer.find its specs and overclock to those numbers. then test with ati tools.

(for a beginer this is what I would do. plus you can by cheaper cards and overclock them to the more expensive ones.)

sorry for the long post

aceadam

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008

Read before you ask ;)

My system specs: Intel E8500, P45 Platinum, 4Gb-800Mhz, HD4870 1Gb<lol

i tried with that card and failed on furmark.

jdigital1983

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

what do you mean read befor you ask?

and tried what card and failed on futuremark?