Overclocking with 2 different ram kit?

sterob

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Long story short, CPU xeon got stolen, i buy a new 3570k but i have 2x4gb gskill sniper 1333 and 2x4gb gskill sniper 16000 stick.

Can i overclock with it? do i have to take note about not raising the bus speed above a certain clock that will go over the 1333 kit speed while still below the 1600 kit?

If yes, what is the idea temp, voltage/speed i should be looking for?

sterob

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
tough luck for me then, i bought the 1333 2x4gb kit first, then years later 1333 kit is OoS everywhere so i have to bought 1600 kit to have 16gb ram.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

This is simply not true.

Mixing ram kits 90% of the time will work fine, as long as you keep the speed at the slowest kit in the system.

There are rare cases when using different kits can cause incompatibility, but its not very often.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

What makes him "the best on Ram"?

Anyway, i'm talking from my own experience (100s of systems, workstations servers etc), and its really not as big an issue as is being made out, especially when we are talking about two slightly different kits from the same Brand. If the system is set to run at the settings of the lower performing kit, it will work.

Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. Only a tested ram kit is guaranteed to run.

With low speed DDR2 ram you could do this easier. But now any small differences in the ram - even if they are the same speed, timings and voltages - can stop them working together.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Can happen. Very rare, unless you try and overclock.

ernson2012

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
i have 1 4gb 1866mhz and a 1 2gb 1333mhz
it worked well in 1333mhz dual channel mode but the question is can i make it a 1866mhz riding a dual channel and what will i do to achieve it?