Overclocking with corsair h60

Nicholasashton6425

Commendable
Apr 29, 2017
I have a corsair h60 and a amd fx 6300 together. I overclocked the cpu to 4.13Mhz and getting temps around 37 C with 100% cpu usage is this normal or do I need to set the overclock back.

Solution
It's an AMD cpu. Almost all temp software written has a hard, if not impossible, time giving any accurate readings. Use amd overdrive, it's backwards, gives you a temp that is all you have left, so the smaller the number, the hotter the cpu, but it works the best.

The h60 at idle will give temps @ 10-12°C above ambient, so idle in an air conditioned room of 23°C should show idle temps @ 33-35°C. Depending on the voltage at 4.1GHz, 100% loads should be in the med-high 60's. That's cutting it close on that cpu, amd has a much lower heat tolerance than Intel cpu's.

adamscurr

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2013
That sounds great, but a little suspect. I'm not sure that reading is accurate. It should be a little higher I would think. I used to have a 8350 and it never ran that cool, even on stock settings...

What program is giving you the temp? Might want to download something else and see if it is accurate...

Adam

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's an AMD cpu. Almost all temp software written has a hard, if not impossible, time giving any accurate readings. Use amd overdrive, it's backwards, gives you a temp that is all you have left, so the smaller the number, the hotter the cpu, but it works the best.

The h60 at idle will give temps @ 10-12°C above ambient, so idle in an air conditioned room of 23°C should show idle temps @ 33-35°C. Depending on the voltage at 4.1GHz, 100% loads should be in the med-high 60's. That's cutting it close on that cpu, amd has a much lower heat tolerance than Intel cpu's.

Solution

Nicholasashton6425

Commendable
Apr 29, 2017

How am I supposed to get a accurate reading on temps with amd overdrive if it's backwards?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Each amd cpu has a thermal limit. Core limits put it at 62°C but that's not really right either as you can't read amd cores. 72°C would be a better guess. What amd overdrive dies is it reads what the limit is and applies through its own algorithms, just what the temps you have left is. Backwards.
It's not like reading an intel pc, where you want temps below 70°C and a 52 at load and 33 at idle have meaning. In amd overdrive you'd see that you have 50° left at idle, 33° left at load, and the closer you come to 0° the hotter your cpu. If you ever see negatives, your cpu is being cooked. There's nothing exact about amd temps, they don't have the thermistors on core to accurately read the temps the way Intel cpu's do.