overclocking worth it on r9 270?

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Hi, i own a r9 270 and was wondering whether or not it is worth overclocking. i dont know much about overclocking but was just wanting to know if it would be safe to overclock it with my specs and whether or not i would see a big improvement in fps.

My specs are:
gigabyte 990fx ud3
patriot viper 3 black mamba 2x4gb
msi gaming r9 270
fx 6300
seagate 450gb hard drive
corsair 200r case

Solution
No harm in trying, have fun OC'ing your card and judge for yourself. If you're card gets too hot or it doesn't really make a difference, just don't worry about it.

Redheadsrule13

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

There are plenty of overclocking guides out there, it's a pretty universal process.
The easiest way is to use overclocking software like MSI Afterburner (my personal favorite), then just increase teh core clock by 10mhz, run a stress test, raise by 10mhz again, test. Keep doing that until you get a driver crash or glitches/artifacts while running a stress test. After that do the same thin with memory speed; 10mhz, test, 10mhz, test.

Once you've done that, you're done.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
sorry for the EXTREMELY late reply, ive been real busy, but thank you for your advice, i still havent attempted an overclock but i have one more question? if i overclock too much will i damage my gpu?i have heard that it overlcoks well though

Redheadsrule13

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

You can, but only if you're careless about it.
The worst thing to do is to be impatient and increase the clock by too much, this can damage a card rather quickly.
The other thing that can cause damage is if you are getting graphical glitches and issues etc. and keep using the card.

As long as you're patient and overclock in steady increments, reduce the core clock if you start noticing problems (meaning the OC is unstable) and DO NOT save your overclock before you test it. You always want to be able to restart your PC and know everything will go back to when it was steady.
That isn't to say that you shouldn't ever save it. Just test before you do and make sure it's stable.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Well i tried overclocking. i managed to max out clocks on msi afterburner. i ran a couple of games and a benchmark and no artifacts or glitches occured however temps were about 70 ish due to lack of fans and not having aftermarket cooler, so ive bought em and going to try again. if there isnt any artifacts or glitches on screen will that still be stable??

Redheadsrule13

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

Yep, as long as you're not seeing any weird artifacts and you aren't getting any driver crashes, it's stable.