[SOLVED] Overclocking

R3kki

Commendable
Jul 29, 2021
Hello I was wondering If I can overclock my GPU and CPU with my motherboard. I don't know about overclocking much yet, but when I tried overclock my GPU only by 100mhz, my games went crashing. I tried CPU too, but I got bluescreen for a while. Can I overclock littlebit with my motherboard and 500W? And what I should do?

My specs are:
16gb ram 2666mhz
Rtx 2060 super
i7-9700K
500W
gigabyte z370 motherboard

On some games I'm getting lower FPS that should I have, so I thought overclocking will help me little bit.

Solution
What is the make/model of your 500w psu?
A cheap unit will not deliver advertised power, and a 2060super is going to need that 500w:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Graphics cards are binned, and the better chips are used in factory overclocked cards like the super.
Do not expect much from overclocking a gpu.

How well you can overclock the cpu will be determined by the quality of your 9700K chip.
Most will have decent oc capability.

What is the make/model of your case and cpu cooler?
What is your fan arrangement.
Overclocking generates more heat which must be dealt with.

When comparing your performance with others, realize that only the best results are posted from overclocked systems.
Those with dogs...
Hello I was wondering If I can overclock my GPU and CPU with my motherboard. I don't know about overclocking much yet, but when I tried overclock my GPU only by 100mhz, my games went crashing. I tried CPU too, but I got bluescreen for a while. Can I overclock littlebit with my motherboard and 500W? And what I should do?

My specs are:
16gb ram 2666mhz
Rtx 2060 super
i7-9700K
500W
gigabyte z370 motherboard

On some games I'm getting lower FPS that should I have, so I thought overclocking will help me little bit.
Use MSI afterburner for the GPU. You need to increase GPU max power level as well as clock speed. It may help to know the brand, model and age of your power supply.

What is the make/model of your 500w psu?
A cheap unit will not deliver advertised power, and a 2060super is going to need that 500w:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Graphics cards are binned, and the better chips are used in factory overclocked cards like the super.
Do not expect much from overclocking a gpu.

How well you can overclock the cpu will be determined by the quality of your 9700K chip.
Most will have decent oc capability.

What is the make/model of your case and cpu cooler?
What is your fan arrangement.
Overclocking generates more heat which must be dealt with.

When comparing your performance with others, realize that only the best results are posted from overclocked systems.
Those with dogs are silent.

If you want better performance, see if you are limited by cpu or gpu.
Run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Solution