Overclocking

bcock

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
just curious, i am purchasing a new PC within the next day or so. I will be getting the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 and overclocking it most likely. I have heard a lot of people on this site say their not a fan of overclocking higher end processors but i was jus wondering why this is. is it potentially harmful to overclock a high end processor or just not worth the money? the main reason I chose to overclock it is for future purposes when newer processors release. if anyone wants to share i would be very grateful! thanks!

Solution

IMO there is no need to overclock that processor anyway. I had my i7 860 running at 3.67 GHz (about 30% OC) and the reverted back to the default 2.8 GHz and i didn't see much...

crispy77

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

IMO there is no need to overclock that processor anyway. I had my i7 860 running at 3.67 GHz (about 30% OC) and the reverted back to the default 2.8 GHz and i didn't see much difference. Yes a heavy OC will shorten the lifespan of your processor, but honestly you should be able to handle all modern games just fine without having to overclock it. YET. If needed in the future you can always OC to your needs.

Hope that little tid bit helped, if not the i got nothing for you.

Solution