Overhead outdoor ethernet run

bearbytez

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Hey. First time poster, so sorry if formatting is off (i did read the rules first but I'm a slow learner.)

I've been researching this for some time, but I keep getting discouraged by conflicting information and odd pricing of supplies. So I figured it's time to ask someone more knowledgable about my specific scenario.

I rent a house that has a studio in the back yard. It's about 50 feet from the main house, maybe less. The house was built in the 1920s and has not been properly updated, the electrical is a nightmare. But as a renter I am unable to do much, if any, modifications. I have had the hardest time getting wifi out to the studio.

I upgraded my router to a netgear nighthawk x4 (r7500) and received dramatically improved signal within the house, and can even pick it up about 2 city blocks away in every direction except the back yard... Of course. I assume there is some electrical interference. I tried running a repeater, to no avail. I did manage to get signal out to the studio via 2 repeaters. One in the upstairs back window and one in the window of the studio (which unfortunately does not face the house) with some home made tinfoil signal directors. Unfortunately this resulted in my 175mbps connection relaying into a spotty 4 to 8 mbps connection in the studio- the place where I really need the speed the most. There is no functioning cable connection in the studio so I could not run the other direction, and considering I have to blast wifi from the second story of the house to reach the floors of the studio I doubt it would work anyways.

I moved the nighthawk all over the house, even though the center of the home is the least ideal place to keep it. Putting it in the second story window and adjusting the antennae a bit allows me to get an unreliable connection in the studio without the use of repeaters. But I still average about 10mbps (up to 28 occasionally) and the connection is unreliable.

It seems like my only option now, since I can't dig to lay conduit, is to run ethernet overhead from the house to the studio. There is a non functioning (cut end, not attached to anything) coax cable running overhead from the house to the studio, it crosses under the oppositionally run power line with a vertical separation of 4 to 6 feet. I assume this would be a fine guide-line to attach ethernet to, and as it was installed by comcast, it's simply drilled straight through the siding and insulation and interior wall (a disgusting practice, imo, but convenient for this purpose.)

My problem is that I can not find anywhere locally that sells more than 50ft runs of ethernet cable. Walmart, best buy, staples, office max, home depot, lowes (who are so expensive it wouldn't matter anyways), local hardware stores. We don't have a radio shack anymore. When looking online it's difficult to find anything outdoor rated between 50 and 1000ft. I don't want to cut and solder the wire. A 100 or even 75 or 150ft run would serve my purposes fine. And I keep ending up back at Amazon for this. Unfortunately, all the cables of this length that are listed as "outdoor", "waterproof", or "uv" are also shielded.

I've done extensive research on shielded cables and still can't get a clear idea of whether it's a good idea or not. Most people seem to say no, but for reasons that appear to be myths. And I don't want to deal with grounding as I've been down that road with the rental agency before and they refuse to do anything above minimum code. I would rather buy unshielded uv ethernet cable, but these are hard to come by online and strangely always seem to be considerably more expensive than the shielded variants, even from the same manufacturer. I don't think lightning is a concern as I've only heard thunder twice in the 5 years I've lived in the area and I've seen lightning maybe three times, that was always on the other side of the mountains (I live in a valley.) It does rain for about 6 months out of the year, and my yard can get quite windy. But It hasn't seemed to cause a problem with the coax cables which I imagine have been out here for at least 2 decades.

I only plan to live in this house another year, 2 at the max. And I would remove the ethernet run before leaving.

So I suppose my question is:

Is running an ungrounded shielded uv ethernet cable overhead for about 50 feet outdoors an acceptable solution of a temporary (1-2 years max) nature?

What issues should I be aware of when attempting this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

*Edited for annoying autocorrect typos

Solution
You local home improvement store should sell bulk cable. I would put RJ45 jacks on each end mostly because they are simple and most come with all the tools you need. It would be cheaper to just use RJ45 plug ends but it takes practice to put those on right and you need a tool so the price will likely wash out.

I would just use any indoor rated ethernet cable with no shield. You want solid copper but most store do not sell the copper clad aluminum crap you find on amazon. If you want uv protection buy a small can of cheap house paint and paint the cable.

You always take the risk of lightning but since the coax cable is likely grounded it will be the preferred path....still lightning would vaporize the cable if it actually takes...
You local home improvement store should sell bulk cable. I would put RJ45 jacks on each end mostly because they are simple and most come with all the tools you need. It would be cheaper to just use RJ45 plug ends but it takes practice to put those on right and you need a tool so the price will likely wash out.

I would just use any indoor rated ethernet cable with no shield. You want solid copper but most store do not sell the copper clad aluminum crap you find on amazon. If you want uv protection buy a small can of cheap house paint and paint the cable.

You always take the risk of lightning but since the coax cable is likely grounded it will be the preferred path....still lightning would vaporize the cable if it actually takes a direct hit no matter what you do.

Eventually the sun will kill the cable but it should last 2 years. Water/rain should have little effect as long as the cable does not stay submerged in water.

Solution

bearbytez

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
I forgot to add, in case anyone is curious:

I have done everything I can think to do with the wifi signals, adjusting bandwidth, channels, power, etc. The reason I was able to put this off for so long is I was able to get a consistent 10 to 15 mbps with the repeaters until recently. Apparently all of my neighbors had their cable packages upgraded at the same time (comcast recently ran a promotion to upgrade for the same price here) and the air is now flooded with wifi. Channel 6 is in usable. Channel 1 seems to be the least saturated but it doesn't help much with the speed or reliability of the connection over open air.

It's particularly maddening because most of my neighbors definitely do not even use their wifi. I know for a fact that the majority of them don't even have computers and wouldn't know how to connect their smart phone to wifi. So it's just unused signals bombarding my property. But that's mostly unrelated. Just explaining why this went from an inconvenience to a necessity.

USAFRet

Titan

Monoprice - 100'
http://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=cat5e&sort=salepricedesc&category_2=Networking/Cat%20%205e%20Ethernet%20Cables&mode=list&length=100ft

Amazon - 100' outdoor rated
http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Waterproof-Shielded-Ethernet-Direct/dp/B001B6DM52

bearbytez

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Bill001g

I agree that local big box stores should carry bulk cable, but sadly I have checked everywhere in the tri-city area and no one carries anything over 50ft, even without ends. Some stores offer it online to be shipped to the store, but it's way more expensive than other online retailers and usually "pull box" style or has terrible reviews. While I'm capable of crimping and soldering the ends myself (ran plenty of cat5 in industrial settings) I am without any tools currently and was hoping to avoid the headache.

However, you may have just provided me a brilliant answer. I don't know why I had never considered just uv-coating the cable myself! I can definitely find 100ft quality indoor cable online. Perhaps that's my best bet.

Thank you.

I am still open to other suggestions, but so far this seems like the best course.

c0rr0sive

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Lowes sells Cat6 and Cat5e bulk rolls, have used it before, but the quality is horrible, and avoid Amazon, almost all the bulk cable is CCA, which is not acceptable for network communications, or anything what so ever. I found only two brands on amazon that sell solid copper, CableMatters and on occasion Monoprice branded cables.

All that aside, you can run a shielded cable if you want, it doesn't have to be grounded unless you are wanting to be able to use the shielding aspects of the cable to keep EMI out of the cable.

Other than that, make sure the cable has a messenger/leader wire running beside it (I guess that's what you will use the coax for?) to help support its own weight... It's not wise to have a bare network cable in the elements suspended by it self for long, it will eventually fail, so ensure its attached to another wire, and has some slack in the run to allow for movement in the wind.

Oh, do NOT buy cable from walmart, bestbuy, or any of the big box stores... Seriously, the crap that says it is cat6 rated doesn't even meet cat5 minimum specifications, and you are certainly paying 3x more at walmart for a network cable than anywhere else. Lowes is one thing if you are wiring using bulk cable (terminating, colors are horrible), but buying from the likes of most other places... Just don't do it.

bearbytez

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Sorry for the formatting. I'm on mobile and don't see an option for replies or quotes.

USAFRet:

The Amazon cable you linked is exactly what I was referring to when I said I could not find unshielded cables that were also UV rated. As you'll notice, that cable is shielded, and their utp variants cost about 50% more for some reason. Which leads me to doubt the quality of the cables. The monoprice link appears to all be indoor cable with no UV protection, which I can find in great abundance.

C0rr0sive:

Where would you recommend to purchase cables?

General address:

Another reason I would like to avoid bulk (anything over 200ft) cable is the added and wholly unnecessary expense of buying 1000ft of cable for a 50-75 foot run.

c0rr0sive

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
To be honest, I recommend Amazon, but you have to be very careful because like I said, a LOT of sellers there are selling cable that is CCA and not solid copper.

You can get some RJ45 ends, and a cheap crimp for about $15 and will have plenty of cable left over if you just go with the pullbox method. Never will know when you might need to make more cable for outdoor use. Being totally honest, when you move in the future, you might find you need a few cables made for other purposes... It's much handier to have cable available for when you need it, than to shop around, wait, and pray it's of decent quality. This is especially true if you know how to terminate your own ends.

Without messenger wire and shielding:
http://www.amazon.com/Jacket-Outdoor-CMX-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B005EZ0HH2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1460409529&sr=8-5&keywords=outdoor+cat5

With messenger wire and shielding:
http://www.amazon.com/Shielded-Outdoor-Messenger-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B007HCAYFA/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1460409736&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=outdoor+cat5&psc=1

If you are really wanting to avoid bulk rolls though, I highly suggest the Amazon link that USAFRet provided earlier, that looks to be your best bet. Good reviews of the product overall, doesn't appear to be cheaply made going upon pictures provided.

bearbytez

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
A moca setup is something I had considered. Though I was hoping to not have to drop another large wad of cash after upgrading my internet package from 50mbps to 175, buying a new high end modem and router, investing in wifi repeaters, etc.

$150 seems like an average price point for the adapters, not including replacing the coax and probably updating the splitters and who knows what else, without any certainty that it would work. Just seems like a lot more effort than running ethernet. But it was certainly an option I had considered, depending on the likelihood of running ethernet outdoors being viable.

I had also considered fiber, as this negates the electrical issues. But I worry about its fragility in the wind. I haven't worked with fiber in a very long time, I may be imagining this. Is fiber still as delicate as I remember?

Either way I think a homemade uv coating for some indoor ethernet sounds easily doable. And even better, if there is no issue with running ungrounded shielded cable, that would be ideal for convenience and availability.