Overheat issue -- 1.1T-bird

G

Hey, after running a 3D game for a long period of time (probably around 1-2 hours), my computer locks up and I have to manually restart. I'm assuming this is a heat issue because as soon as I go back to my BIOS and check the temp/etc, It's around 130-ish Ferinheit! I have a KT7-RAID with a Thermaltake Golden Orb.

G

put arctic silver thermal paste between your cpu and heatsink, if you are using that thermal tape that some HSF's use then scrape it off with a razor blade and then use the arctic silver instead, make sure you have your case well ventalated at least one intake fan on the front and an exhaust fan on the back plus your powersupply blowing the hot air out. you may want to look into adding more case fans on top of those if your heat issue is still a problem. also make sure youcase isnt obstructing the airflow. get those cables and wires bundled and as far out of the way of the fans as possible so the air can flow properly, secondly maybe you should invest the money on a better HSF, i dont have any experiance with the golden orbs but maybe try something that has been tested to keep things cooler. try running your game again with the side of the case off and a floor fan blowing air into the case, if your problem stops its probably because of poor case ventalation, if it persists, it probably means your heat sink just isnt adaquite.

If you overclock an Intel Processor enough, it will turn into an AMD. True Story.

G

Where can I get some Thermaltake stuff? I looked everywhere and the only reply i got was "oh, thermal compound comes with our fans".

G

any decent computer store online, or you can just order it straight from arctic silver might even be www.arcticsilver.com i am not sure, but i know www.bigfootcomputers.com sells it thats where i got mine

If you overclock an Intel Processor enough, it will turn into an AMD. True Story.

G

Thanks for the advice.. Unfortunately, you're going to have to complete that thought.

My other fan (CoolerMaster) wasn't any better.

G

I'll look into it.. :)
How's their prices? I don't wanna spend -too- much more than $20.

G

I thought that the ORB was a good cooler. If not, then I must blame my excellent overclocking luck on a 700E (posting 980MHz: 140FSB/35MHzPCI/94MHzAGP) and an 800E (posting 1120MHz: same FSB/PCI/AGP overclocking) on cool running chips

I did just build another system based on the 800E, but haven't been able to get it past 992MHz (124FSB/31PCI). The next choice is 133/33, and it just won't post. It is hotter than the other 2 PIII chips, running about 50C (confirmed by touch).

Can you recommend an HS/fan for this flipchip that might help me get it to 133/33 ?

and remember,
AMD also means Alternative chipMaker Deserves credit for real competition

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I got a slot1 version of P3800e. Tried to overclock it, but the thing won't post at 115fsb! lol

do u think that is the stock heatsink?

thanks

sparks